• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone using CME UF8 controller?

Anyone using CME UF8 controller?

I have been investigating this new(ish) controller by CME that proports to have weighted hammer action. I played one today right next to a M-Audio Keystation Pro and though the CME UF* was much more realistic and solid. It also looks to have some good controller feaures.

Is anyone on this board using one to control their soft synths? I'd like some real world perspective on this.

Re: Anyone using CME UF8 controller?

I am interested as you - after seeing it in Keyboard magazine(April), I have held off buying a controller until I can read some realistic reviews - it almost seems too good to be true when you add the price point and features.

I'm curious to hear real-world experiences with the UF series as well...
    Sam Hulick

I'm really interested in the 71 key version myself...

I'm yet another person interested in buying a CME keyboard. If you look at the forums on either the Sound on Sound site or the official CME site, there are a number of comments from a guy named "Martin Walker" who is a reviewer for SOS. From what I gather, a review of the UF8 is forthcoming in SOS and he liked the review model enough to buy it.

Judging by the CME forums, though, it looks like there are still a few bugs in the firmware to be ironed out. I'd also like to get one of the silver bodied ones, as the red is a bit much.

I have been using a UF8 for months and I am very satisfied with it!

Well, I am not a competent keyboard player and I am not sure if my comments are valid.... but honestly I think the CME keyboard has a better touching than M-Audio (Oh I did test the pro88 keyboard too, not side by side though ) In fact, I didn't choose the M-Audio keyboard because the black keys aren't constructed as like a "real piano" - they are way lower (in heights) than a real piano, and that makes the playing and touching more like playing a synthesizer instead.

But the pro88 keyboard looks way prettier than the UF8.

If you are a piano player you might find one frustrating thing with the UF8 keyboard though.... they keys bounce back too quickly as if they are feathered weight (isn't it ironic for a hammer weighted action keyboard? ) But the down action is really solid and sensitive.

Oh well, it comes with a free sustain pedal too! hehe
    Dell Precision T3500 (Xeon W3520, 12GB RAM) / Windows 7 x64 / Sonar 8 / VE Pro / WIVI 2.3 / Kontakt 4 / G-Player 1.2

I bought one and returned it.
    The feel wasn't right for me personally. Though the action is weighted, it is on the light side, doesn't seem very piano-like to me, and the keys are bouncy.
    Other folks like the action - it is very much a personal preference.

I got one and I like it a lot. I needed a keyboard with all these buttons, sliders and controls and this is really the best part of the product. It's case is really cool (reminds you of a good synth) and the keyboard action is ok-ish. Price was amazing!
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

I think I'll pick one up today or later this week. My RD300SX has a nice action although I find it a little flimsy on some keys. But I never use the onboard presets any longer since I got the Jam Pack 1 for GarageBand with that beautiful Bosendorfer sample. And I need a mod wheel and sliders as the RD sucks for controllers...

Has anyone got one of the non hammer-action ones (e.g. UF5, 6, or 7)? If so, how was the key feel?

Go Back to forum