• Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Jazz & Big Band Collection

Jazz & Big Band Collection

Will JABB include a hammond organ?

Re: Jazz & Big Band Collection

Current details of JABB are here:

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

But isn´t it a bit strange that a "complete" jazz package doesn´t include a hammond organ?

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet82
    But isn´t it a bit strange that a "complete" jazz package doesn´t include a hammond organ?
    Trumpet82, my guess is that JABB does not include a B3 because a BS is not normally part of the "big band sound"
    There is a software B3 called B4 on the Native Instruments website and it includes a Leslie sound, and even though it is pretty good, traditional big bands that I have ever recorded and seen, don't have a B3. That's just how I see it.

I use a real Leslie that I have modified to accept a normal amplifier (power amp) input, and the fast and slow speed is controlled by a switch. I send the organ sound from Digital Performer to the amp, mic the amp with three mics, and then record these mics into DP. It works great!

I do understand your desire for a B3, it is a sound that nothing else comes close to.

wha wha wha wha wha

Orcas Island

This subject has been brought up before: "Why doesn't JABB include this or that or the other instrument".

Some wanted a violin, a harmonica, accordion, euphonium, soprillo sax, and the list can go on and on and on. Tom so desperately wanted to include a Gb Obligato Stritch and the Profundo Retro-Clarinetto with the F extension.

I think you find it is the most complete jazz collection on the planet.

The Hammond organ is not a standard instrument in Jazz & Big Band. Yes, some jazz bands may use a Hammond, but others use a DX7 or an XP80 or an ARP 2600 or other keyboards. Should those be included as well to be "complete"? If we don't stop adding instruments this will never be released.

If you need a Hammond there are some excellent FREE VSTi hammonds available.

Gary Garritan

This is a rather good hammond organ, which is free (i think). He also has a nice rhodes and a vintage leslie effect, among other things...

I'm not a hammond conoisseur, so I'm not sure how complete it is, but the sound is pretty good, and the price is right.

West Seneca, NY

Question Re: Jazz & Big Band Collection

Are you sure you didn't include Herman's Organs?

The availability of excellent free plugins for instruments like the Hammond bring this into the area of "why spend resources, and increase production costs/time, basically re-inventing the wheel?" Even though we did include a Rhodes keyboard in this library I even debated with myself about doing that because there are some very good free Rhodes plugins out there as well. Since I happened to have access to a fine old Rhodes I went ahead and included it, but it wasn't necessary.

The free plugins are easily available for download at places like KVR. Don't overlook these things. These are mostly synth plugins and co-exist very nicely along side sample-based libraries. They can do a fine job of augmenting the capabilities of Jazz and BB. I've suggested to Gary that, after release, we include information on the website about where to find such freebees.

It truly is unimportant that one package include all the goodies. Why spend resources on a B3 when the B4 is as accurate as the new 'genu-wine' Ham/Suz tonewheel organs. The real goal is to have the instruments we need, not to have them all in one wrapper...

There are plenty of great pianos, drums, basses and Rhodes out there, some free, some not. There are NOT a lot of saxes or jazz brass, and the ones that are out are mediocre at best for this use. (Great for orchestra, but bite the big one for jazz, IMHO.)
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Yes, many good *free* VSTs around! I personally use Rumpelrausch Täips ZR-1 and ZR-3 for my organ purposes. Might not be a Hammond, but good stuff all the same.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum