• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using Gigastudio in a Network

Share/Bookmark

Using Gigastudio in a Network

Hi... as you read in the topic, i\'m using
    Gigastudio in a Network of two computers.

Version 2.01 made it possible to read gig-files on an HD in the second computer of my Network...

Version 2.20 only uses the HD of the computer it is installed on. It shows all the other drives as an icon, but it don\'t shows any files on these drives.

What is going wrong here?
    AudioMagic

Re: Using Gigastudio in a Network

For what I know, the network feature has never been implemented, and God knows if it ever will... I remember trying to get it to work several times without any luck.

Network streaming has worked all the way back to the early versions of GigaSampler. Remember that Quiksound has many more options now. Make sure they’re set properly.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Audiomagic:
    Hi Bill,

i\'m talking about Gigastudio :-)... but i
    think we talk about the same.

Can you give me a hint, which QuickSound-Option could hinder me from using my network-drives?

AudioMagic
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I\'m not at my Giga computer right now, but chances are that you need to go into the advanced options and tell QuickSound which drives/directories to include and exclude from its indexing. - Doug

In a way, this is the problem.

Cause --> On QuickSound i can\'t check
    my floppy disk, my CD-ROM-drive and my network-Drive...

Hi Bill,

i\'m talking about Gigastudio :-)... but i
    think we talk about the same.

Can you give me a hint, which QuickSound-Option could hinder me from using my network-drives?

AudioMagic

OK, now that I\'m home, I see that you\'re right.

Until that\'s sorted out, you can drag and drop gigs from a network drive useing windows explorer.

This from Kevin at Nemesys Tech Support:

\"The way Quicksound curently handles network drives is that it ignores them. This is not to say that network drives are inaccessable, but they just aren\'t included in the database build. There are some good reasons for this. Network mapped drives, like removable drives, may sometimes, but not always be accessible to the Quicksound file spy monitor. At this point in time, only internal fixed hard drives may be monitored and updated. If a network drive contents gets changed with regard to its file and directory structure without the file spy monitor running the database will quickly become out of sync. This is just basic database theory where one\'s records must be kept very consistent with the actual data as it is referenced and recorded. The basic becomes increasingly complex as the network is introduced into the system.

\"The way to load a Gig file from a mapped network drive is to double-click one of the 16 loader channel slots in the MIDI mixer view of the GigaStudio main program interface. You will be presented with a standard Windows type dialog box where you can browse to the mapped network drive, folder, and file location and load it. You can save a performance file containing network mapped GIGs and as long as you leave the files in the same directory location the path will be found and the performance will successfully load. The performance file can exist on yet a different mapped drive and directory and can be loaded in GigaStudio as long as its own directory location path remains unchanged. So you can see it wil be important to maintain consistency in organizing your network mapped GIG files and performances.

\"The next major release of GigaStudio will be able to do much more with regard to accessing the network mapped files via Quicksound. For now, I hope this is a clear enough method for you to use.\"

Thank you Bill!

In the meanwhile i went to my local
    computer-shop and bought a new HD for
    my Gigastudio-Computer. So i\'m not longer using my Network with Gigastudio.

In you answers i see now, that there
    are possibilities to get access to
    Network-Drives, but in this moment i think
    it\'s the best way not to use network-drives, because it\'s a little bit complicated to use them. - And so i have a local fully seperated Gigastudio-Computer :-)

Thank you to all of you
    AudioMagic

Go Back to forum