• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overture 4 Feature list announced

Overture 4 Feature list announced

In terms of playability and midi editing functionality, this update will seemingly leave Sib and Finale in the dust I must admit. The only issue is: when will it come out? We've been waiting a long time...
    - robjohn

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:21 am Post subject: Overture 4 Feature List
    Overture 4 Feature List

NOTE: This program is still in development and there are still additions looking to be made. This list can still change even this late in the development cycle. But these features are pretty concrete.

Please discuss the features in the Overture 4 Feature Discussion Thread and not here. Posts in this thread will be removed. This thread is a feature announcement only.

New Features - Playback

• VST Host

Overture 4 is now a FULL VST Host. Load up to 256 VST Instruments and 4 effects. There are no other restrictions on this functionality. Overture 4 will literally load ANY VST instrument or effect, free or otherwise.

• Articulation Playback

Articulations can affect attack times, durations, velocities, send keyswitches, and send controller data. These are user definable and saved with the score. Breath mark and Grand Pause, pause score playback.

• Glissando Playback

Select a glissando and then choose diatonic, chromatic, or white keys to be used during playback.

• Chord and Guitar Frame Playback

Select a chord and then choose the starting offset times, durations and velocities to be used during playback.

• Symbol Playback

Any symbol from the graphics palette can affect playback.

• Voice Playback

Select any note and set its playback to another voice using parameters in Tracks Window, maintains its original voice.

• Expressions

Expressions now can send bank changes and send tempos throughout a range.

Timing on expressions can also be changed. This is important when using an expression to send keyswitches since it allows you to place the expression directly over the affected note and tell the keyswitch to occur a few ‘ticks’ previous to that note. No more placing the keyswitch over a previous note!

• Solo and Mute

Right mouse click to solo or mute the track directly on the score.

• Scrub Tool

Click the scrub tool and drag over horizontally over measure to play the notes.

• Humanize Function

Presents a dialog where you can randomize start times, ending times, velocities, and tempos within the selected area.

• Tempo Offset

Adjust the tempo during playback from 10% to 200%.

• Non-Metered Playback

Overture plays all the notes in measure even if it is 4.5 beats, and therefore you can have unlimited number of notes. Overture plays the notes back correctly to the time signature and tempo selected. This is useful for Cadenzas or music without barlines.

• Auto-Correct

With this feature enabled, Overture warns the user when they attempt to enter too many notes into a measure. This feature also warns the user when they try to enter notes outside the playable range of an instrument. This feature will be very useful to anyone trying to learn orchestration.

• MIDI Time Code

Overture now sends MIDI Time Code.

• Measure Repeats

Single and double bar repeats playback.

New Features – VSTi Implementation

• Instrument Controller Definitions

For supported VSTi’s and sample libraries (Garritan Personal Orchestra, EWQL Gold, EWQL Colossus, EWQL Stormdrum, reFX Vanguard, reFX Slayer 2.5, reFX Beast, Bela D Media Diva, Bela D Media Giovani, Bela D Media Lyrical Distortion, Bela D Media Studio B, and many more) you can select the instrument you have loaded from these libraries and Overture 4 knows what controllers affect which samples and loads these definitions into the Graphics Window.

So if you load an instrument and set Overture up properly, you can tell by looking in the controller list, what each controller does to the sample you are using. You’ll never have to memorize which controllers affect playback of a particular sample provided you have everything set properly. This comes in handy with large sample libraries that may have different controller layouts depending on which instrument you have loaded. Just look at the controller dropdown and immediately you know that this controller crossfades the sample from non-vibrato to vibrato.

• Instrument Keyswitch Definitions

Again, for supported VSTi’s and sample libraries, by loading your keyswitch instruments and then telling Overture which instrument you’ve loaded, Overture will automatically load a keyswitch table enabling you to immediately see which pitch corresponds to what keyswitch function in the Expressions menu. There’s no more memorizing keyswitch pitch assignments or reading the manual.

This feature also comes with the ability to display on the score the actual sample keyswitch taking place. The keyswitch expression on the score might read ‘legato’ normally, but with this feature enabled, it would read below that ‘D#1-Vibrato EXP Legato’ showing you what patch EXACTLY you are keyswitching to. This makes for easy reference after the fact.

• Instrument Names on the Score (as needed)

This feature allows you to display below the track name the VSTi instrument name. This feature can be enabled or disabled as needed. The beauty of this feature is that it keeps you from having to look at the VSTi to remember what patch you have loaded. An example is that below ‘Violins 1’ would be the VSTi or sample name for that track like ’18 Violins Mart Up Dn’. This way you’ll always know what sample you are actually using in this track.

• Using Voices to Keyswitch

This feature allows you to use voice changes for keyswitches by changing voices on the fly using an expression on the score. Better yet, if you have set the tracks up properly and use templates to compose, you could have a template that loads 8 different violin patches in an instance of EWQL Gold and you can use the playback voice feature to switch between them on one track in Overture 4 and each different voice would have its corresponding instrument name displayed in the playback voice dropdown so you’d know which one to switch to without opening the Tracks Window or the VSTi.

Other VST features:

Track names and clef assigments are loaded when you select the instrument you are using. Simply right click on the track choose the device you are using for the track, select the instrument, and the clef, track name (score names), score abbreviations, controllers and keyswitches for that instrument are loaded automatically. In addition, sample names can be displayed as well.

These VST instrument definitions can be easily edited by the user and can be created by the user as well.

New Features - Editing

• Edit MIDI Data directly on Score Window (Miniature Graphic Window)

Enter MIDI data mode and the notes appear as a piano roll in the measures. Note start times durations and velocities can be dragged. Above each measure is a small MIDI data area where controller data, pitch bend, tempos, etc can be entered, changed, or erased. You can choose the Type of data to be edited as well as the density when entering the data. Extremely powerful for those using notation with VSTi’s and want complete control over the MIDI data directly on the score. Another great thing about this feature is the ability to edit multiple tracks without having to use any dropdowns or menus. So if you are editing Velocity, you can edit it on many tracks at once since all tracks currently displayed on the score can be edited in one session easily. Non-VSTi users can hide this menu or display it as needed.

• Redo Pitches Function

Select a note and enable this in the Notes menu. Any notes played on the MIDI keyboard will replace the selected note and next note will be selected. The existing rhythms are kept.

• Smarter Mouse Entry

Mouse entry automatically recognizes polyphonic rhythms and adjusts stems and voices to accommodate. Rests are automatically entered. The layout adjusts to accommodate notes based on allotment tables. In other words, measures wrap down to the next system to avoid crowded notes. This can be turn off by the user.

• Chord Recognition

Click on a note using chord tool and all notes of the chord (including bass clef on piano tracks) are used to enter the chord found in library.

• Add Interval Function

Select notes and choose this in the Edit menu to add a 2nd though a 9th above or below selected notes.

• Reassign Controllers

Any controller can be reassigned to another controller. This is extremely useful for users VSTi’s as many libraries use different controllers to affect volume and timbre changes in the samples.

• Recording

User can set the transcriber to add staccato and tenuto articulations automatically when recording and importing MIDI files.

• Selection Filters

Select a range and then filter out any symbols. This powerful note filter allows you to choose pitch, duration, velocity range, note head type and articulation. Also you can choose the starting point in a measure and the interval. For example: You could filter all quarter notes on the second and fourth beats that have a velocity above 90. You could then click on the accent symbol in the articulation palette to add an accent to the selected notes.

• Find

Through a dialog you can find notes using pitch, duration, velocity range, note head type and articulation as parameters. You can also find MIDI data such as controllers, pitch bend, and program changes, and also playback symbols such as tempos, hairpins, dynamics, and expressions.

• Quick Paste

(Key stroke to be determined later)
    Select a passage and Alt (option on Mac)-click to paste it into the score. Repeat this as many times as necessary.

• Articulations

Choose Notes>Flip>Articulations command to move articulations to the opposite side of stem. Clicking on an articulation in the palette applies it to any selected notes.

• Capo Setting

Guitar Frames can be changed using a capo command. The original chord name can be displayed above the new name or the new chord name can be displayed below the frame with the original above the frame.

• Pedal Bracket

The pedal bracket can now be used as a regular horizontal bracket by deleting the middle point and flipping it.

• Split System

Splitting a system starts a new system at current measure. Overture will try to keep this measure as a start of a new system whenever laying out a page.

• Implode and explode

The implode command condenses selected staves onto a single staff. This is useful for creating piano reductions. The dialog box lets you specify where to place the imploded music.
    The explode command expands the selected passage into separate single-line melodies on separate staves. This is useful in creating a four-part harmony from a piano part.

• Improvise

This allows you to record without a metronome and add the beats later. After recording a track you record another track that contains beats only. The remaining tracks are adjusted to the beats.

• Articulation Tool

This gives easy access to commonly used articulations. Right click on a track, choose Articulation Tools and select the one you need. Then just click over the affected notes to place it on the score.

• Clef Tool

This allows you to quickly change the clef of the track. Works exactly the same way as the Articulation Tool.

• Hand and Zoom tools on Tool bar

Separate tools for dragging page and for zooming in or out. The hand tool will drag individual staves when clicked on. When clicking on white space the entire page is moved. These are easily selected by typing ‘h’ or ‘z’.

• Show/Hide Palettes

One keystroke to show or hide all open palettes.

• Booklet Printing

Pages are printed side by side in landscape mode to produce booklets.

• Swing Marking

The tempo dialog has a setting to show swing. Two Eighths = Beamed Quarter/Eighths triplet.

New Features - Layout

• Symbol Color

You can now change the color of symbols in the score - notes, lyrics, text, hairpins, dynamics, etc. This is particularly useful for emphasizing important score information especially in educational music. The symbols print in color, too.

• Colors Themes

User can set your own color themes.

• Show Grid

The score background becomes a sheet of graph paper to help in aligning symbols.

• Title Items

Title items can be place on every page, not just the first.

• View Options

The View popup menu now has a Fit Page to Screen Width or Height.
    New Features - File

• Auto Save

Set the interval to automatically save your score into a backup folder.

• Read MusicXML Files

Open a MusicXML file created from Finale, Sibelius, or scanning programs.

• Record to File

Overture 4 allows the output of VST instruments to be saved as a WAVE/AIFF file. Recording starts when you hit the play button and ends when you hit the stop button. This helps when taking multiple takes of a score or by allowing you to render each instrument to a separate wav file for editing in an audio application. Multiple takes rendered to the same destination are appended so you don’t need to worry about accidentally overwriting a file.

General Improvements

• Backspace Key Deletes

Press the backspace (delete key on MAC) to delete the symbol before cursor.

• Trills

When selected notes are Notated as a trill, any ending grace notes are automatically converted to grace notes. Generated trills have a duration for each trilled note and they can can be accelerated.

• Guitar Frames

Guitar Frames now have more suffixes, can transpose and have fingering below strings.

• Tablature

The Notes to Tablature command automatically creates a tablature track if needed.

• Graphics Palette

The Graphics palette contains a wedge symbol that is filled or transparent. Adding thickness to curves produces a tapered slur.

• Articulations and Heads Palette

Click on articulation/head tools to apply these to selected notes.

• Dynamics

Dynamics now have a movable baseline on each staff that is used when being entered. Dynamics between keyboard staves can affect both staves

• Hairpins

Hairpins now have seven control points instead of four allowing greater fluidity in dynamic changes. Users also have the ability to draw in the controller changes graphically or can still enter it in numerically.

• Lyrics

Lyrics are typed directly in score. There are commands to copy to and from clipboard, and shift the lyric line left or right. Also there is a command to automatically display verse numbers to the left of the first lyric on any system.

• Multi Measure Rests

Multi Measure Rests now have a Fill % of bar and the range numbers are drawn at same location as bar numbers.

• Default Page

New scores now contain more staves shows more of the score on screen. The default staff size is a bit smaller.

• Page Dimensions Dialog

The Page Dimensions dialog was rewritten to show the new layout of the score as score staff sizes are reduced. This is much improved.

• Import Dialog

Importing MIDI files now has options for putting tracks in Score Order and for using the JazzFont as default MusicFont.
    The spacing of staves has been improved.

• New Score Dialog

The New Score dialog has an option for using the JazzFont as default MusicFont.

• Plus more

There are a few more that are not mentioned.

PS. Look for the advertisement in August's Keyboard Magazine!

Beta-testers, please feel free to update and or edit this or send me PM's to let me know what needs changing (re-wording) or adding.

Don may edit this as well.

Last edited by Joseph Burrell on Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:47 pm; edited 4 times in total

Re: Overture 4 Feature list announced

Wow! Those features look fantastic! Overture 4 will definitely be on my most wanted list!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

• Tempo Offset

Adjust the tempo during playback from 10% to 200%.

I'm guessing but is that kind of, well, like the tempo -tap feature in Finale 2006?

Hey guys, thanks for your interest. I should have posted sooner, but I've been super busy with all kinds of stuff for Overture 4.

We have some videos of the new features and a couple of these highlight use with GPO.

So far the videos are for:

Editing Midi Data from the Score
    Customizing the Overture 4 Interface
    Adding a Keyswitch Expression
    Adding a 'Voice' Playback Expression
    Using 'Voices' for Articulation/Channel Changes
    Glissandos + Hairpins + Tempo Draw (with audio from example)

If you have a feature you'd like to see a video of, send me a note and I'll do my best to get it on the server.

West Seneca, NY

has there been any talk or decision about the price? This looks like the most sensational notation vst program besides Finale 2006 I've seen. Makes me want to have them both!

I did see something about tempo change mentioned in the new features - is this similar to the tempo tap mechanism advertised for Finale 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by neoTypic
    A "tempo tap" feature and a scroll view would definitely make me look at this over upgrading to Finale2006.
    Statements like this boggle my mind.

I had a long post, but no matter how I word it I'm going to make people angry. I'm starting to feel like Bruce R.

No problem. Someone obviously widdled in my cornflakes this morning. No offense to you. I can understand now why developers get so heated sometimes. I'll leave it at that. I need to learn to keep my emotions in check.

As a consumer you have a right to spend your money on whatever you want. I for one, will continue to put my money into the companies that bring to market products that innovate and push on the boundaries rather than float around them. This is why I made a conscience decision to put my own blood sweat and tears into this company and its product.

Tap Tempo? That big a deal is it? We'll see. It's not there right now. A point upgrade maybe.

Scroll View? Download Wink and show me what you mean.

And make sure you completely understand what you're getting from the big guys before you make any decisions. I've got a feeling it aint what you're expecting.

San Francisco Bay Area

Im not sure what Tap Tempo is, but if its the equivalent of allowing a user to "conduct" a playback performance, by "tapping" a key or spacebar, and recording these tempo changes, its something I dream about not only in Finale, but my sequencer as well.

An added bonus would be the ability to "conduct" dynamic/velocity changes at the same time with a keyboard

Go Back to forum