• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loadig the same instrument twice - RAM usage?

Share/Bookmark

Loadig the same instrument twice - RAM usage?

I was wondering if anyone knows if the kontaktplayer loads the same samples into RAM if you load a patch twice, meaning that it eats more RAM memory than what is needed? I get the feeling that it does since it takes some time when you load a patch for the second time.

For instance, usually when I load Violins 1st KS, which takes a fairly large amount of memory, I want to load the patch twice because I think it is easier that way (but please give me advice as to how this can be done more efficiently, if possible). The reason that I load patches twice (strings in particulary), is that I compose little by little, just a few bars ahead. If I have played something for 4 bars (16 measures) and typed the CC1 (modulation) data, it is hard to start from where I stopped playing without getting that choke-in-sound, eh, sound, if you know what I mean. To solve this I therefore load some patches twice so that I switch between them, typing new CC-data a bit before where the other track stops... (confusing?)

Anyone have any opinions about this (tips...)

Re: Loadig the same instrument twice - RAM usage?

Hi,

I don't think I can comment on your scenario there... I don't think I understand what you are doing...

However, I have loaded two instances of the snare drum, and panned them each a bit left and right, to get a fuller double-snare sound from my orchestra. I'm quite sure that the samples occupy their own memory (i.e. no sharing), since I can apply individual tweaking (like pan) to each one.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

I just tried loading the Steinway several times. From GPO's memory behaviour in the Task Manager I conclude, that it's only the controller settings, that are loaded again, not the actual samples. GPO's memory usage rose only a couple of hundred KB for each instance.

That is strange... I mean, if the raw-samples are loaded into ram, why should it be a problem to have more than one patch sharing the same raw samples. After all, the raw-samples will still be the same no matter what you do. It is the programming of the patch that tells Kontakt what to do with the raw-samples. It shouldn't make any difference if you panned one snare to the left and one to the right; the only thing that would change would be the parameters of that patch, not the samples themselves... On the other hand, maybe it is so that Kontakt is unable to trigger two patches sharing the same samples at the same time???

However, I might be wrong about this (frankly I don't have a clue), and maybe this is not the way Kontakt works... At least this is how old hardware samples does it. You can load a patch that uses the same samples as the another patch that you've allready loaded into RAM, without having to "double-load" the samples...

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    I just tried loading the Steinway several times. From GPO's memory behaviour in the Task Manager I conclude, that it's only the controller settings, that are loaded again, not the actual samples. GPO's memory usage rose only a couple of hundred KB for each instance.
    Got to check that out myself.

As I said, when loading Vlns 1st KS twice it looks like it is loading the samples into ram again, since it takes some 15-20 seconds. If it was so that only the settings were loaded, it should be loaded in halv a second or so...

One answer to this may be that I usually load the same patches into different instances of Kontakt. I will try and load the patches into one instance and see what happens!

I don't understand your problem. If you read my previous post, you will see my conclusion was, that the Kontakt player does indeed "reuse" the raw samples. The 3 instances of the Steinway patch did share the same raw samples without "double-loading". Only the programming/controllers/whatever where loaded several times, raising the CPU useage from 48,268 KB to 48,612 KB.

After reading your last post, I tried loading in a second instance of the player, and yes: it loaded the whole swarm of samples again, which doesn't happen if you keep it within one Player instance.

It only takes 15 to 20 seconds to load an entire first violin KS?? That's FAST!!! Geez, methinks it's time for a new computer!

I've experimented with similiar things. I think Nickie is right. According to both load times and the RAM usage in task manager, I think it only loads controller data, but I've never tried it over different instances.

Interesting topic
    -Chris

As long as both instruments share the same wave pool, then Kontakt will only load them once if they are in the same instance.

It will load them twice if using 2 different instances.

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    It only takes 15 to 20 seconds to load an entire first violin KS?? That's FAST!!! Geez, methinks it's time for a new computer!

I've experimented with similiar things. I think Nickie is right. According to both load times and the RAM usage in task manager, I think it only loads controller data, but I've never tried it over different instances.

Interesting topic
    -Chris
    I actually thought my computer loaded the samples pretty slow... Guess it don't then.
    Hey, I tried (just for fun) to see exactly how long it took for the Vln 1st KS to load, and it took, as I said about 15 sec from when I started until it was finished loading...

15 seconds! Are you loading it by hand or what? My computer does it in 3, and it's only an old, slow Celeron 1.8 GHz

Go Back to forum