• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giving up on a dream?

Share/Bookmark

Smile Giving up on a dream?

I had this whole lengthy paragraph explaining why I have decided to give up on the recording / composition dream. However, there wasn't much to say except I've taken a long hard look at what I have done, what is needed to continue, and decided not to pursue anymore. Yet, there is one last final dream I am harboring. I've gone back to lessons on Timpani for brush up and learn new techniques in preparation for the day the Garritan Philharmonic Orchestra becomes a reality.
    So, I am not giving up on a dream just replacing it with another.
    Styxx

Re: Giving up on a dream?

Gee Styxx. I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope you plan on staying around here? I do understand though.

Paul
    AMD Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2GHz
    XP Pro 2GB Ram
    80GB OS, 160GB Audio, 320GB Samples
    Delta 66 Omni Sonar 5PE GPO, JABB

Perhaps it's not a matter of giving up but taking a hiatus? I mean your still growing musically right?

I personally think you're just going through tranisition withdrawel aferter your musical
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

I'm s ticking (Styxxing) around, I'm just finished decomposing. I really don't have the money for it nor the freedom. I have been devoting all my time to studing and practicing persussion. There are many splending composers on this forum and one less won't ruffel the skin. It just takes too much money and time and for a guy that has so much on his plate it just doesn't figure in. Maybe after a few years when the kids are all gone I may get back into it.
    As an old wise man said to me once he said, he goes, he said, he went, he goes, he says, he goes, he went, he said, he goes, he says, he says, "Son!" he says, he went, he goes, he says, and I says, "I'm not your son!" and he said, he says, he goes, he went, he goes, " so you're not ya little pisspot you get outa here!" So I left.

Oops, I forgot to mention one important reason I am letting go of composing. I am in the beginnings of writing my foist book.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Oops, I forgot to mention one important reason I am letting go of composing. I am in the beginnings of writing my foist book.
    A book? Oooohhhh.... Please, do tell, do tell...
    Tim

Sometimes individuals with exceptional imagination have too many dreams to turn them all into reality, so they need to prioritize. I think you fall into that category. I'm sure you will excel at, and enjoy those that you choose to pursue.

Now more about the book, please...

I've never written a book before and it so far has proved to be quite a challenging experience! I like it! I've rewritten my outline several times already.I am not interested in writing best sellers just have the need to write. I received some great encouragement from a person I consider VERY educated and talented in the art of writing and admire very much. I feel the need to write but I don't understand why the need shifted from music to literature although it doesn't concern me as much.
    Was that a contraceptive statement?
    Oh well, back to the paper and pencil.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lindsley
    Sometimes individuals with exceptional imagination have too many dreams to turn them all into reality, so they need to prioritize. I think you fall into that category. I'm sure you will excel at, and enjoy those that you choose to pursue.

Now more about the book, please...
    What he said.
    Very true.

And what he said about the book, please...

EDIT: OK, more about the book, please!!

And I also had to prioritize my dreams. (see priorities below) I wanted to be a writer at one point too. I always enjoy telling stories, but do so MUCH better in writing than in talking. I also wanted to be an airplane piolot, but then I decided it wasn't worth the fun with my ears popping from pressure differences. That can really hurt sometimes. I also wanted to be a composer/conductor, but I found out that I was really bad at composing and nobody likes conductors. (just kidding) Actually, I think my composition skills are getting better now. It only took two lessons from a pro composer and one lesson from a pro conductor and now I think I get it!

I'm rambling.

Sorry.

take care,
    -Chris

Maybe after a few years when the kids are all gone I may get back into it.
    That's what got me back into music study...the extra time (and extra money) that resulted from getting the kid out on his own. Of course I only had one to deal with, and I think you have a few more than that.

Besides that, there's no way you're going to REALLY give up on it...it's just going to sit back there and simmer while you go explore some other areas like a return to percussion study and taking up writing (which is a great idea, I think).

Good luck! (and keep us posted on your literary endeavors).
    ;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

I'm s ticking (Styxxing) around, I'm just finished decomposing. I really don't have the money for it nor the freedom. I have been devoting all my time to studing and practicing persussion. There are many splending composers on this forum and one less won't ruffel the skin. It just takes too much money and time and for a guy that has so much on his plate it just doesn't figure in. Maybe after a few years when the kids are all gone I may get back into it.
    As an old wise man said to me once he said, he goes, he said, he went, he goes, he says, he goes, he went, he said, he goes, he says, he says, "Son!" he says, he went, he goes, he says, and I says, "I'm not your son!" and he said, he says, he goes, he went, he goes, " so you're not ya little pisspot you get outa here!" So I left.

I know where you are coming from! I burnt out. All my energys were direwcted to teaching( Band, Orch Director) Had no energy left. I looked at what I had accomplished fro0 a Composition standpoint and was dissatisfied..VERY dissatisfied.Later. you may find, as I did after kids leave, that no matter how much I wrote, I would be dssastified with most of what had written. After long talks with some famous photographers I knew I found that ,there were very few photographs they had made over a long career that they were still satisfied with. Many composers, Beethoven for one, destroyed many works because thet were dissatified. As someone else said, take a break.......:-)

You are an important part of this community you would be missed if you leave Earl

Go Back to forum