• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can not load most instruments!!

Share/Bookmark

Can not load most instruments!!

Hello. I just recently got GPO from the Group Buy. I have tried using it both standalone, with the GPO Studio, and with Sonar (tried both loading as DXI and as VST).

In all cases I have had the same problem. When I try to load an instrument from the library, some of them load, but for the majority that I have tried, I get an error message like the following:

---------------

could not find sample

C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library\<GPO_Library_part3.nks>\Vlns 1 Samples\Vlnf3PzG#3.wav

find it automatically or locate it manually?

-----------------

There are various buttons to click on. If I click on "Auto-Find" or "Find", the file searched for is never found. If I click "Retry", I get the same error message immediately. If I click "Ignore", I get the same error message with a different filename. The only button that works is the one entitled "Abort Loading", which of course, stops trying to load that instrument.

What is going on? Why can't I load most of the listed instruments in GPO, both "Dry" and "Wet"?

From the filename above, it looks like there should be a subfolder of my GPO Library folder called "\<GPO_Library_part3.nks>". There is no such subfolder by that name. There is, however, a file by that name, without the <>, "GPO_Library_part3.nks". Is that perhaps a compressed file containing many .wav files, that GPO sees as a folder? Could mine be corrupted? If so, how do I fix it?

(I do notice that the filesize of "GPO_Library_part3.nks" is quite a bit smaller than "GPO_Library_part1.nks" and "GPO_Library_part2.nks". #1 is listed in Windows Explorer as having the size 676,129KB, #2 as 675,439KB, but #3 only 212,040KB, well under half the size of the others.)

I installed all the updates I could find on the Garritan web site, but that didn't help with this problem. I would appreciate it if someone could help with this problem. Thank you.

Re: Can not load most instruments!!

That's not a subfolder. Its an encrypted file that contains the directory structure and actual wav files.

It looks like you've tried to locate the files manually by clicking on Find and then browsing the folders until you find the GPO Library folder under the Garritan Personal Orchestra program entry. If you haven't then do that. Another option is to click on the options button under load. Part way down is the directory containing the GPO samples. You can set the directory containing the samples by clicking on the button next to the path and browsing your computer until you find the GPO Library folder. I don't know if you installed GPO to its default directory or not, but any of these could be the problem.

Short of reinstalling, try these things if you haven't. If you have, put the disks in the computer again and the just open the CD's for browsing, copy and past the GPO_Library.nks files that are contained on each CD to the GPO Library folder.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the 3rd GPO Library files is supposed to be smaller since the .nks files have a 'top' limit so what's left over is going to be smaller. The aren't necessarily uniform in size, if you catch my meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    That's not a subfolder. Its an encrypted file that contains the directory structure and actual wav files.

It looks like you've tried to locate the files manually by clicking on Find and then browsing the folders until you find the GPO Library folder under the Garritan Personal Orchestra program entry. If you haven't then do that. Another option is to click on the options button under load. Part way down is the directory containing the GPO samples. You can set the directory containing the samples by clicking on the button next to the path and browsing your computer until you find the GPO Library folder. I don't know if you installed GPO to its default directory or not, but any of these could be the problem.

Short of reinstalling, try these things if you haven't. If you have, put the disks in the computer again and the just open the CD's for browsing, copy and past the GPO_Library.nks files that are contained on each CD to the GPO Library folder.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the 3rd GPO Library files is supposed to be smaller since the .nks files have a 'top' limit so what's left over is going to be smaller. The aren't necessarily uniform in size, if you catch my meaning.
    Yes, as I wrote, I tried both "find" and "auto-find". Yes, there is no problem locating the GPO Library folder, which contains the GPO_Library_part3.nks file. But the required wav files are not found in that .nks file. I suspect that file is corrupted. I'll see if I can find it on the CD. (As I said, I get such an error message when trying to load many instruments, although not all. The error message always includes that part 3 filename, so I suspect that file is corrupted.)

My GPO box came with three CDS, although there are spaces for four in the box. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by maiki
    My GPO box came with three CDS, although there are spaces for four in the box. Is that correct?
    Yes, the group buy version of GPO only came with the first three discs. The fourth disc is the one with all the extra programs like Overture, Cubasis, GPO studio, ambience reverb, and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

-Chris

What OS are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    What OS are you using?
    Looks like maiki might be on a PC, but I'm on a Dual Processor 1.42 Ghz Mac with OX 10.8.3, and I can tell you this: I have been having the same problems for over two weeks!

I've tried a million things...even arcane things like repairing permissions. I've got all the updates. I've tried finding the missing instruments manually, automagically, and through prayer -- nothing has worked.

I also have an e-mail thread with Gary that's been going on for two weeks now. His last comment (received last Saturday) on my situation was this:
    "On Monday or Tuesday there should be an updated to fix this. It will be onthe NI downloads page. If you don't see it in a few days let me know.

Gary"

There is still no update on the N.I. site. What troubles me more is this: if the previous N.I. build was missing some of the instruments, why aren't there scores of people reporting this problem, especially after the group buy? In my case, most of the violins sections are missing, and even miscellaneous solo violins. I can't work without them.

So, maiki, rest assured you are not alone...and you did nothing wrong from an installation perspective...and although you've tried to find the files on your own, it's not your fault you can't find them.

We're in the same boat. I just wonder when we're going to get this mess straightened out.

-Bob
    InterOctave

Lightbulb Re: Can not load most instruments!!

I see that NI still has version 1.1.0.04 of the player for download. This is (still) the latest version with the updated library. If you don't have the updated library, you should install v1.1.0.04 on top of the version that came on the discs, and then after that install v1.1.8.3 on top of v1.1.0.04. If you already installed v1.1.8.3, you may be able to install only the library from v1.1.0.04. I can't remember if a partial install is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    I see that NI still has version 1.1.0.04 of the player for download. This is (still) the latest version with the updated library. If you don't have the updated library, you should install v1.1.0.04 on top of the version that came on the discs, and then after that install v1.1.8.3 on top of v1.1.0.04. If you already installed v1.1.8.3, you may be able to install only the library from v1.1.0.04. I can't remember if a partial install is an option.
    I've done all of that. As a matter of fact, I've done it several times, several different ways. My current GPO player says version 1.1.8.003 (note that the last part is 003, not 3 -- either this is a typo or an incorrect version -- at this point I don't really know). The Library is Version 2.0. I've downloaded and installed the latest player over the discs, and then the library from 1.1.0.04.

What can I (we) be doing wrong? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by interoctave
    I've done all of that. As a matter of fact, I've done it several times, several different ways. My current GPO player says version 1.1.8.003 (note that the last part is 003, not 3 -- either this is a typo or an incorrect version -- at this point I don't really know). The Library is Version 2.0. I've downloaded and installed the latest player over the discs, and then the library from 1.1.0.04.

What can I (we) be doing wrong? Anyone?
    Sorry, I haven't written here in a couple weeks. I was able to solve the problem. Apparently though, since it seems to have happened to more than one person, I don't think it is that "we did anything wrong". I suspect there is something wrong with the installation program, that sometimes one of the library files gets corrupted on installation.

It was as I suspected in an earlier post--the file GPO_Library_part3.nks on my HD was corrupted, and that's why any sample located in it was not found. As I reported before, the size of that file on my HD was 200 and something MB, much smaller than library files 1 and 2.

I found a file with the same name on CD 1 of the set. It was over 500 MB. (Yes, library file 3 is on CD 1, as it is a little smaller than the other two library files, and CD 1 also includes the installation files. CD 2 is only library file 1, and CD 3 is only library file 2.) I copied the GPO_Library_part3.nks file from CD1 to the folder that file is located in on my HD, clicked Yes to overwrite, and finally had the larger non-corrupted library file 3 on my HD. Now I can load all the listed samples.

Since it sounds like you cannot load some of the same instruments that I could not load, Interoctave, I suspect that it is the same GPO_Library_part3.nks that is corrupted on your HD, Interactive. Look at that file on your CD and copy it over the one on your HD, and let us know if that solves the problem.

It's interesting that your computer is a Mac, as that means the installation program would not be the same as on mine, a PC. Yet, I suspect something wrong with the installation routine on both, in that we see that on more than one computer the very same file did not get installed properly, and ended up corrupted on the HD. (It may not happen to everyone, but if it happens more than once, that's enough for me to suspect something wrong with the installation routine.) (I wonder if it could have anything to do with library file 3 residing on Disc 1, and that confusing the installation program somehow? Just a wild guess.)

So, even though we could fix the problem by re-copying that file from the CD, I would suggest to the developers that they look into possible problems with the installation program, that this problem is occurring repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by maiki
    Sorry, I haven't written here in a couple weeks. I was able to solve the problem. Apparently though, since it seems to have happened to more than one person, I don't think it is that "we did anything wrong". I suspect there is something wrong with the installation program, that sometimes one of the library files gets corrupted on installation.

It was as I suspected in an earlier post--the file GPO_Library_part3.nks on my HD was corrupted, and that's why any sample located in it was not found. As I reported before, the size of that file on my HD was 200 and something MB, much smaller than library files 1 and 2.

I found a file with the same name on CD 1 of the set. It was over 500 MB. (Yes, library file 3 is on CD 1, as it is a little smaller than the other two library files, and CD 1 also includes the installation files. CD 2 is only library file 1, and CD 3 is only library file 2.) I copied the GPO_Library_part3.nks file from CD1 to the folder that file is located in on my HD, clicked Yes to overwrite, and finally had the larger non-corrupted library file 3 on my HD. Now I can load all the listed samples.

Since it sounds like you cannot load some of the same instruments that I could not load, Interoctave, I suspect that it is the same GPO_Library_part3.nks that is corrupted on your HD, Interactive. Look at that file on your CD and copy it over the one on your HD, and let us know if that solves the problem.

It's interesting that your computer is a Mac, as that means the installation program would not be the same as on mine, a PC. Yet, I suspect something wrong with the installation routine on both, in that we see that on more than one computer the very same file did not get installed properly, and ended up corrupted on the HD. (It may not happen to everyone, but if it happens more than once, that's enough for me to suspect something wrong with the installation routine.) (I wonder if it could have anything to do with library file 3 residing on Disc 1, and that confusing the installation program somehow? Just a wild guess.)

So, even though we could fix the problem by re-copying that file from the CD, I would suggest to the developers that they look into possible problems with the installation program, that this problem is occurring repeatedly.
    Maiki:
    Ditto to everything you said. Ditto, ditto, ditto. I tried the same fix and it worked. The installation routine is the core of the problem, specifically Part3.nks. You're right, it's unusual that the problem exists on both the Mac and the PC. Nevertheless, I'm just glad it's working now.

Go Back to forum