• Register
  • Help

Topic: July 4th Contest Entry: Patriotic

Share/Bookmark

July 4th Contest Entry: Patriotic

It was such a great idea that Gary had sponsoring the July 4th contest that I had to get out my little ole Mac and work up a medley of what I think are great patriotic songs.

I normally write out an arrangement and then sequence it, but this time, I just played the piano into Logic 6 and then viewed the notes as I arranged them for other instruments. I had never done it that way before, but it was cool just looking at a piano score (played in) and then using it to orchestrate. It sure saved a lot of time with pencil and paper.

Hope you all are waving your flags as you listen here:

www.cannonscores.com/July4Medley.mp3

NOTE: I have been signing off as John (which is my formal first name). I prefer Jack so, to avoid confusion, I will use that from now on. Thank you DPDAN. Heh, heh. Now I don't have to be addressed John/Jack

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: July 4th Contest Entry: Patriotic

Most excellent. I enjoyed it alot and especially liked your choice of tunes and their segues. Great work.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Great medley Jack,I especially liked "America the Beautiful",and also the witty ending.Good Luck.
    regards

Jack,

I posted this on the July4th contest thread.

As I wrote there, this is an excellent medley of patriotic songs and well arranged. Makes on proud to be an American!

Thanks Jack for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Gary, Val, and Joaz:

Thank you for your kind comments. I really enjoyed working on this project as it made me think of our proud Country and all it stands for. And, also to our British cousins, especially during this time of tragedy in London.

Every time I see pictures of the people of London on the news, I'm so glad our nations are so supportive of one another. Cheers to you all.

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Every time I see pictures of the people of London on the news, I'm so glad our nations are so supportive of one another. Cheers to you all.

Jack Cannon
    Isn't that the truth!

Thanks for this fine medley Jack!

dpDan

I truly believe there is a special bond between our 2 nations. I speak as a proud European. Someone once said we are 2 nations divided by a common language.
    However our political masters may choose to exploit these bonds,there is a kind of continuum of culture, ideas, science, music, literature, history and so on, that exists between us. Much is always made of our military links, but it is good to remember the other stuff as well.
    The disinterested observer might note, that since you Americans struck out on your own, with this foolhardy notion of Independence. You have made a decent fist of it.
    regards

A well-written medley, Jack.

(I might possibly suggest hinting at the presence of the piano earlier -- maybe just a sprinkle or two of filagree work, to prepare the listener for its strong entry around ~1:09.)

Like the color you got out of the brass on this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    A well-written medley, Jack.

(I might possibly suggest hinting at the presence of the piano earlier -- maybe just a sprinkle or two of filagree work, to prepare the listener for its strong entry around ~1:09.)

Like the color you got out of the brass on this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Yes, David a little filagree could work nicely. Good point.

Actually, and this is the funny part of it, as I was arranging the piece I was thinking, "Hey listener, you probably think this is all going to be WW, Brass and Percussion." "Well, I'll show you." Heh, heh. It was a surprise to me on playback also, but my little Mac had a deadline and I left it as is.

Glad you noticed the brass. This is the first time my trumpet resembled a trumpet. Maybe the amount of reverb had something to do with it.

As always, thanks for the comments.

Jack

I often like to foreshadow major elements... surprising what the ear will not really consciously hear, but later put together.

What'd you use on the brass, there, Jack? I'm rather hit-or-miss on getting a good trumpet sound, myself.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum