• Register
  • Help

Topic: kontakt2 drops instruments during mixdown

Share/Bookmark

kontakt2 drops instruments during mixdown

hi everybody,

i've got a weird problem. i'm running cakewalk sonar, i've got two kontakt's and another dxi hooked in, and everything goes +/- fine -- until mixdown. when i go to export audio, for some reason or other, kontakt stops playing some notes. this only happens during mixdown, not when i play the piece realtime.

at first i thought it might be some sort of midi note stealing going on; the symptoms are similar: a note is abruptly cut off. but looking at the readouts for polyphony, there are never that many voices playing. also, sometimes some notes don't even get played. and if it's really a polyphony pb, it should happen in realtime too, shouldn't it?

i also tried bouncing each track separately. even bouncing just one instrument -- a single violin w/a single long note -- i get the same pb. the note starts fine, then *bam!* just quits.

maybe this is a dfd/memory pb? here are my settings:
    - winxp-sp2, 1gb ram, cpu athlon xp2600+
    - interface motu 828mk2, directsound driver, 10ms latency
    - dfd 256.95mb, 913 voices
    - expert mode button shows 120k channel buffer, 1024 buffers reserved, total dfd 120mb

has anyone ever had a similar pb? any ideas on how to fix it?

thx.

Re: kontakt2 drops instruments during mixdown

go to the Engine tab and turn on the OFFLINE [BOUNCE] MODE

Question Re: kontakt2 drops instruments during mixdown

I, too, have been experiencing mysterious "drop outs" during "exporting to audio" (oddly, not usually while previewing) with Kontakt 2.

I found the "Engine" tab over there on the Browser side of K2 and opened that (to me) new panel. The "Offline Mode" seemed already to be "off" (as in NOT lit). I then went to the manual hoping for an entry for "Engine" in the Index, lacking that, I found the Index entries for the "Browser" (since this tab exists logically under that). There seems to be no additional documentation.

Are these features and selections documented somewhere else?

tia ... KevinKauai

it has to be lit when you're bouncing. if not, the dfd doesn't work properly, as if it onlyplayed the cached parts of the notes

i think it was included in the 2.0.1 version, that's why there's no documentation about it in the manual

I always use the slow bounce option when mixing down or exporting tracks. It's slower but haven't had any problems with it.

Question Re: kontakt2 drops instruments during mixdown

guybrush and Haydn - -

OK, you guys are totally losing me. I'm new to full Kontakt with this cross-grade (from having the GPO player) and I'd like to understand the "Engine" particularly as I can find NO documentation no where (and I've searched the NI Kontakt "Knowledge Base" for clues). It's a little blaffling that a whole "dialog" area seems to be completly UNDOCUMENTED!

Where did you guys pick up your understanding of what's going on here and how to apply it?

[Inquiring minds to know! And perhaps utilize this mystic knowledge on their own!]

KevinKauai

Hmm... For some reason I thought you were using Sonar when you said you were using the DXI version. The option I mentioned is in Sonar.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Where did you guys pick up your understanding of what's going on here and how to apply it?
    just trial and error i guess

SOLVED: kontakt2 drops instruments during mixdown

thanks y'all for the help; putting the offline-bounce light on solved the problem. i didn't even notice it until you mentioned where it was, guybrush, and yeah, what you're describing is what seems to be happening.

Go Back to forum