• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Serious GS3 Orch problem

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Serious GS3 Orch problem

Re: Serious GS3 Orch problem

Never seen that -- possibly try other ways to start the program: use the 'run' command line, or the start menu, or double clicking an icon on the desktop or dragging a gig file onto the desktop icon. Don't know if those would help, but maybe. Sounds like something got locked into trying to access an unwritable place (your cd drive, most likely).

Something has been corrupted. I'd re-install Windows.

But first, I'd test memory, and do a deep scan of the hard drive.

My wife's previous machine was really flaky. Netscape was whacky, kind of like what you describe. Some OS files would get corrupted. It sounds like your hardware isn't 100% well. And I've learned that 99.99% well can be more frustrating than 100% broken.

-JF

Before installing windows -- which always leads me into deep depression -- I'd try eliminating other services temporarily. Looking in task manager, and making them start 'manual' instead of automatic, then stopping them and rebooting.

Could this be xp sp2 related, btw? I'm still on sp1, but a couple of tries at updating to sp2 led to many new problems with my audio stuff. Also, take a look at the gigastudio log file (windows\nemdiag.log). That's easy and might tell you something. Here's a recent log from my working system (hope there's nothing compromising in there ....) The failure messages are always there, don't know why, but everything works fine.

=============================================
    SetSecurityLevelForService(): Finished changing security level.
    LoadDeviceDriver(): Able to install and start driver: EWAVE (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\ew.sys)
    LoadDeviceDriver(): Able to install and start driver: NSTATION (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\nstation.sys)
    Progress 790 -
    SetSecurityLevelForRegKey(): Finished changing security level.
    Progress 788 -
    Progress 789 -
    Memory calculations: phys. memory = 1609277440 bytes, phys. memory (adj.) = 1206958080, memory diff. = 402319360
    Progress 791 - PROGRESS_INITWSTREAM:
    WSTRM32 successfully initialized the WaveStream module.

MSG32 thread: Thread handle = fffffffe, Id = b0
    MidiLoop Thread creation: handle = cc, Id = ec
    Event Thread creation: handle = d0, Id = f0
    Strm Mgr Thread creation: handle = c0, Id = e8
    InitPortConfiguration(): Initial port configuration.
    External Midi In Port:
    # port in Use = 1:
    PortAccessLevel = User
    byStatus = 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Ids = 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    szNames =
    Delta AP MIDI
    byRoute = 0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
    Port Linkage: P0: 0x1 P1: 0x2 P2: 0x4 P3: 0x8 P4: 0x10 P5: 0x20 P6: 0x40 P7: 0x80

External Midi Out Port: (not currently used)
    driverName = GP2MPM, szDriverPath = C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\GP2MPM.SYS
    LoadDeviceDriver(): Able to install and start driver: GP2MPM (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\GP2MPM.SYS)
    driverName = GP2MPM, szDriverPath = C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\GP2MPM.SYS
    InstallDriver(): Unable to CreateService: The specified service has been marked for deletion.

StartDriver(): StartSevice() failed - The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

StartDriver(): Even though StartSevice() failed, we will continue on as normal
    LoadDeviceDriver(): Able to install and start driver: GP2MPM (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\GP2MPM.SYS)

I'm not sure about in this instance but sometimes add-ins, that is to say things that provide extra functionality in an app, can cause the app to break if they become broken, and do give this error message...An esoteric example to show how out there these things are is that if Acrobat becomes broken then Outlook might not launch because the add-in startup fails, so the app fails...Have a think if there's anything else that's playing up on your machine, or if you deleted anything along with GS, or maybe even whether there's a problem VST you've noticed as its GS specific...other culprits are often anti-virus or anti-spam suites that hook into everywhere...plus (you've probably done this, but...) make sure the pre-requisite hard disk isn't full...also, maybe move your VST directory temporarily...

I'm a GS2 rather than 3 user, so I don't know if this would be a suitable time for a gigaclean and then re-install? Certainly something to try ahead of a re-install of Windows - And if you do get that far, try removing things like anti-virus software completely and re-booting - This error message is often a symptom of something rather than an abstract problem in its own right - and the extra 15 mins sure beats a 5 hour rebuild!

Cheers

I also get the runtime error but everything seems to be working after I click OK. If someone figures this out I hope they will post.
    Thanks

I have said it once and i'll sy it again. Everyone on this board should use norton ghost! I have been using it for a year now, and I haven't been a victim of XP since. I know this does not offer an imediate solution, but this program will save your behind in the future. It's an even better time to get ghost now especially since you will undoubtedly have to re-install windows. If you get ghost and use it, it will be the last time you have to reinstall windows in your life, (depending of course on wether or not you insall windows properly...) Just a bit of friendly giga 3 orch advice

I'd agree with Inteleky's view that keeping a copy of your system disk is a very good thing...I do also, and have reverted a number of times when funky driver installs have made the OS unbootable (I use my machine for software development also) - Ghost is supposed to be good, though I do a straight disk copy using disk utils under DOS to a spare drive, then I know it's done...I'm not sure I'd agree on his point though that you'll "undoubtable have to re-install Windows" just yet though... (though I'd certainly agree that in the long run it's a guaranteed addition to the 'Death and Taxes' list of unavoidable things)...
    If all's back to working then take a copy of where you are now and use that as your baseline to restore to - From your description things were working well last week, and it's only now you've had some problems, so you should be able to get things back to rights again without re-installing from scratch...seriously, a significant percentage of Windows problems ARE fixable
    At the end of the day though, the best solution as ever is the one that gives you most confidence that things will work when you need them to...so...
    For info, as well as doing disk Ghosts another useful XP feature is 'restore' points so that you can roll out any changes you've made - And at any point when you've got a stable system, you can do create a system restore point, essentially a snapshot of your current system configuration, and then roll back to that at any time - These generally work pretty well for most things, but sometimes don't do so well at rolling out things that change drivers or munch their way into the kernel...

Anyrate...that's my 2 pence worth - Hope it's of some help.
    Cheers
    Paul

Actually, Intelekey, do you also know Norton's similar program "GoBack" (http://www.symantec.com/goback/) is just as good if I just want to be able to restore my system to a working state, but don't really need backups? It's $20 cheaper...

Ghost does some things that a DOS copy won't do. It will compress the data. It does error correction and will even try to recover bad sectors on hard drives. It does sector by sector copies so you can back up about any operating system. You can backup and restore whole drives or just partitions on the drive.

I use GhostCast Server over my network which allows me to backup to multiple machines to multiple locations.

Go Back to forum