Topic: Jazz Piano by W. Michael Jaap

Share/Bookmark

Jazz Piano by W. Michael Jaap

Here is a piano demo that W. Michael Jaap did:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Steinway-Jazz.mp3

Comments invited!

Gary Garritan

Re: Jazz Piano by W. Michael Jaap

This is a cool showcase for the dudes piano stylings,it has certainly whetted my appetite to hear a more extended piece.I particularly liked the spacey 1st part.
    More please.
    regards

Ya know, I have been experimenting with the Steinway piano now for about two months. My research has included two methods of using it: (1) playing it into a sequencer, "live," and, (2) importing a MIDI file and editing it to fit the Steinway. My conclusions to date:

1. The upper register of the piano sounds tinny in both cases. By tinny, I mean "too brilliant or bright." the middle and bass registers are marvelous.

2. Pedalling, if MIDI file is imported has to be edited in most cases. I don't know why as I have transferred a lot of piano files to other pianos and haven't run into this problem. Sometimes normal pedalling makes the sustain portion too prevalent or longer than the original. In other words, it carries a lot longer even though the pedal marks are unedited.

3. The best sound I have been able to produce (Candlelight and Piano demo) was accomplished by lowering the velocity of the played-in notes (via editing) at least 10-20 points. I find that lower velocity gives the piano a rich sounding playback--and it should. But, perhaps many folks don't want to edit the sound that much if it takes a bit of time in doing so. Editing just makes it smoother and gives it a more "round" sound.

4. My best results have been playing-in the Steinway "live" and then doing some editing (mostly velocity).

The jazz demo is really great, but I begin to hear that "bright" sound as the pianist moves into the upper register. Michael did a great job of playing the Steinway. Just my opinion.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Cool Re: Jazz Piano by W. Michael Jaap

Being "only" one of the instruments (ok maybe a "bonus" instrument) of GPO, Piano is quite good. This piece is another good evidence.

bravo! very nice piano playing...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Being "only" one of the instruments (ok maybe a "bonus" instrument) of GPO, Piano is quite good. This piece is another good evidence.

Well, I am not sure if I would call it a bonus. I would call it an essential feature. If the piano had not been included, and I had not had some prior good demos from various sources, I would not have bought GPO. Perhaps I am exhibiting some bias, as the major portion of my output includes piano or ogran. The main problem I have is somtimes is seems a bit clanky, but curable by suitable editing. I use the piano two or three hours daily. I would prefer my Baldwin grand, but it is in aother room, and it does not have midi capability!

Richard

This is the new jazz piano from JABB

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Fabio:

Thanks for your vote for the GPO Steinway. It has mine too. My only reason for addressing the higher frequency notes was in hopes that someone would tell me what I was doing wrong and maybe offer some other helpful advice. I have learned so much on this list in the past year.

As a pianist, with some piano technology training, I sometimes get too critical, but I certainly wouldn't voice a complaint about anything in GPO. In fact, I live in Sacramento, CA. and visit two major music stores frequently (Guitar Center and Skips Music). I am always asking folks if they have heard of the Garritan Personal Orchestra and I haven't heard anyone yet say they have. I can't believe this as these salesmen (and customers) are musicians and MIDI enthusiasts and they must read the music magazines. Where have they been. Anyway, I always leave them with the challenge to visit Garritan.com so they can become acquainted with some of the best samples heard in a long time and at a price that no one else can match.

Hope this helps you understand my post a little better. It did sound a bit too objective. My apologies.

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    This is the new jazz piano from JABB
    Phenomenal, Gary. It sounds like a medium-dark piano and Michael's demo was very satisfying. Liked the different jazz styles exhibited.

At first I thought it was the GPO Steinway, but was taken aback when it sounded so good. I haven't been able to duplicate that sound yet in my playing of the Steinway D--hence my reply.

Is this the Steinway C? Can't wait to play this baby. Especially, with the jazz instruments. WOW, I hope this baby will be born soon..........We're all going crazy with anticipation...............

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Michael's demo was very satisfying. Liked the different jazz styles exhibited.
    I've played gigs with Mike for about 23 years now so when it came time to record some demo material for the new piano I gave him a call. We spent an evening recording many different kinds of things (all improvised, of course) from which I gleaned some appropriately brief passages.

Is this the Steinway C? Can't wait to play this baby. Especially, with the jazz instruments.
    Jack
    I don't think Gary wants the piano identified, at least not yet. I can tell you that, unlike the GPO Steinway, this new one has the ability to be adjusted from quite dark to quite bright. The demo was mixed with a medium setting. This feature should help the piano fit into a variety of different Jazz contexts. Of course, there is nothing preventing someone from using it in a non-Jazz application either. By the way, this demo's mix is completely dry. That is the sound of the piano out of the box (with a particular brightness setting - this one happens to be the probable default.)

Tom

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast