• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best MIDI interface for Gigasampler?

Share/Bookmark

Best MIDI interface for Gigasampler?

Any thoughts on the best basic 2 in 2 out interface to run Giga on. I\'m suing a G4 for audio so Giga acts as a sound module. I\'m using the MIDI interface on the Soundblaster card to my MOTU MIDI Express at the moment, but with 3 or 4 tracks I start to lose voices. Would something like the MOTU PC MIDI Flyer be a good choice? Whatya think?
    Thanks

Re: Best MIDI interface for Gigasampler?

What about the Tascam PCI822. They now own Gigastudio :-). Also ..the soon to be released V3 Win drivers of the US428 will have GSIF drivers. Both have 32 midi I/O

Thanks, but what I\'m looking for is a basic solid \"MIDI\" solution. The Soundblaster works fine for audio - I simply need better (more accurate) MIDI. Really, only one 1 in / 1 out, that\'s it. The MOTU caught my eye - anyone have any experiences with it?
    Or other interfaces?

Check out the Midiman stuff. I have a Midiman MIDISport 4X4 and it\'s a solid piece. The Midiman stuff tends to be less $$$ than the MOTU stuff, also. The MIDI Sport also comes in 2X2 and 1X1 versions.

Cheers!

I have finally found the holy grail for Giga -- the Egosys Miditerminal 4x4 parallel port MIDI port. The soundcard MIDI ports kept hanging notes with Giga; and the USB MIDI ports gave horrible clicks. The Egosys just uses the parallel port and it has been rock steady with NO hanging notes, clicks, timing problems, etc.

The MOTU Micro Express is also an effective parallel port solution. 4 In, 6 Out. I use one connected by MIDI cables to a network of Midi Timepieces, and it seems to behave quite properly.

Regards,
    Trond.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carlgt1:
    I have finally found the holy grail for Giga -- the Egosys Miditerminal 4x4 parallel port MIDI port. The soundcard MIDI ports kept hanging notes with Giga; and the USB MIDI ports gave horrible clicks. The Egosys just uses the parallel port and it has been rock steady with NO hanging notes, clicks, timing problems, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you should mention it. I bought 4140 a few weeks ago and it was a NIGHTMARE getting it to work. For starters, installing the drivers made my machine crash. Only the new WDM drivers installs without crashing, but geee, Gigastudio doesn\'t work with them (or WDM doesnt work with Win98). I could get the drivers working though, even though the install crashed, but I had hanging notes, missed notes - pooooooor MIDI performance overall. I went back to my Opcode Translator for a while. Then someone suggested I should try changing the I/O address of the printer port to $3BC - and yes, that did the trick. He told me he got that response from EgoSys, so it is beyond me why this is not in their FAQ or their installer. It is also beyond me why there code is such ****e that all the installers crash upon install - never experienced that one before!

I\'m also using the MOTU Midi Express Parallel Interface which has worked without a problem. Purchased mine for $300 out the door. It\'s getting hard to find these units as companies have been pushing the USB interfaces which I had nothing but problems with.

yeah, Egosys is WDM crazy these days. I forgot about that; I had to uninstall, erase all trace of WDM, and just make sure the VXD drivers were installed. It\'s been fine though.

Go Back to forum