• Register
  • Help

Topic: Backing Up Giga Library

Share/Bookmark

Backing Up Giga Library

How are people backing up their sample library? The most cost effective rewritable external media back up seems to be external firewire drives. Am I correct? At the moment I\'m just copying my library from one GigaStudio to the other via the network but would like to have an external backup as well.

Suggestions and experiences appreciated.

Re: Backing Up Giga Library

The only alternative I can think of which is a little cheaper is to use hard disks in those removable drive bays.

I use cases for 3.5\" IDE drives to be used over USB. They\'re $50-$60 for a case and you can get a cheap 40GB hard drive for $70 these days (you don\'t need 7200RPM/ATA100 drives, 5400RPM/ATa33 is fine). They\'re a bit slower (2MB/sec, 7GB/hr) than firewire but more convenient and I just backup overnight so it\'s fine. I store my Giga\'s and my Ghost\'ed hard-drive backup images (I do it all over my little network since my Giga box hates USB enabled).

Here\'s the model I use (bought from Tigerdirect.com for $60):
    http://www.h45.com/site/qhd.html

I hadn\'t considered the USB option as I\'ve heard so many horror stories about GigaStudio and USB, but I\'ve nver actually checked that option out on my system.

Thanks for that idea.

Why not a CD-ROM-RW? (Internal)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill:
    Why not a CD-ROM-RW? (Internal)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My sample library is over 20 Gig and growing. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Is anyone using DVD discs?

For the time being, nothing beats dirt cheap hard disks.

well I back up over my network from the Giga machine to the USB HD on my \"master\" computer. If you don\'t want to put a firewire card in your Giga box you can probably just enable the USB in the BIOS for a backup, then turn it off the next reboot.

> My sample library is over 20 Gig and growing

Then you must have original CDs of all those libraries. If you’ve edited them, you could just save articulation files of the edits.

Saving the articulation files is a good idea, unless you\'ve organised all your sounds into category style directories which don\'t relate to those on the original CDroms. In a case like this it would probably be tedious to reload 20gb of instruments back into various directories.

I still vote for cheap hard disks.

The fact that (for storage purposes) they don\'t have to be ATA133 1500rpm is also a money saver.

Go Back to forum