• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Art of the Studio Orchestra GPO

Share/Bookmark

The Art of the Studio Orchestra GPO

Howdy:

Thought I would share my layout for studio orchestra in GPO. The philosophy being that this is a suitable number of instruments for most recording / scoring situations (e.g large numbers of instruments in an orchestra were targeted at large physical spaces such as opera halls and large concert halls, etc), and the small ensemble is affordable...meaning @ $50 dollars an hour for 4 hours, you could get a group for around $5000.00 to record about 30 minutes of music (percussion, ww doubles, studio and engineer not included). It is also small enough when you are sketching, so you are not overwelmed with a large ensemble scorepad.

Let me know what you think and how to improve it...

NOTES:
    • Bassoon is optional as a bass clarinet can double and records better.
    • Single percussion can be substituted for 2, if changes are light, or overdubs are an option.
    • Violas can be eliminated or reduced to 2.
    • Bass is optional
    25 Players
    ================================================== ==
    1 Flute/Picc
    1 Oboe/Eng H.
    1 Cl/Bass Cl
    1 Fh
    1 Tpt
    1 Tbone
    2 Perc
    1 Hp
    1 Pa
    Violins 5-4
    Violas 3
    Cello 2
    Bass 1
    ============

INSTRUMENT I
    ===============
    Piccolo Solo KS
    Flute Solo KS
    Oboe 2 Modern Solo
    English Horn 2 Solo
    Bb Clarinet Solo
    Bass Clarinet Solo
    French Horn 1 Solo KS
    Tpt 1 Solo KS

INSTRUMENT II
    ===============
    Tenor TBone Solo KS
    Basic Orch Perc Combo
    Crotales KS
    Glockenspiel KS
    Marimba KS
    Percussion Toys KS
    Tubular Bells KS
    Vibraphone KS

INSTRUMENT III
    ===============
    Xylophone KS
    Harp 1 KS Combo
    Steinway Piano Lite
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --

INSTRUMENT IV
    ===============
    Vlns 2 Strad KS = VLN I
    Vlns 1 Gagli Plr1
    Vlns 3 Guarn Plr1
    Vlns 1 Gagli Plr2
    Vlns 3 Guarn Plr2
    Viola KS Solo
    Viola Plr2
    Viola Plr3

INSTRUMENT V
    ===============
    Vlns 1 Gagli KS = VLN II
    Vlns 3 Guarn KS
    Vlns 2 Strad Plr2
    Vlns 2 Strad Plr3
    Cello 1 KS Solo
    Cello 3 KS Solo
    Dbl Bass KS Solo
    --

Re: The Art of the Studio Orchestra GPO

Very nice orchestra, but the only issue is the viola section. There will be some phasing issues there. Maybe instead of the KS viola the viola plr 3? It eliminates all those articulations, but there won't be phasing. If you really need the articulations but want to still preserve the studio orchestra sound, you could do like you said above and reduce to violas to 1 and just have the KS instrument.

Also with the violin sections, you mix KS and plr instruments. There are no phasing issues--you did a very good job of avoiding that. But since KS instruments have all those articulations but plr instruments don't, I think there is wasted RAM there. I think it would be much more RAM effecient if you made all of the KS instruments just regular plr instruments. Especially with the Steinway, even if it's lite, it'll still be a stretch for those of us with less than 1gb of RAM.
    Also, if the two violin sections have a unison there will be phasing with the current setup. Swtiching the KS instruments to the plr instruments will eliminate that posibility.

Those were my only comments. Otherwise, this is a nice little orchestra you put together. Seems well balanced and looks like it'll work well.

Thanks!
    -Chris

Thanks Chris.

I wanted to keep at least one instrument in each string group a KS instrument so i could get FX. Not sure an effective means of doing this. Will have to look around and see if I can load the articulations seperate.

With GPOA coming along there will be many more solo string instruments, hopefully complete ones, so that the ensemble building can be taken to the level of being used for full symphonic orchestras rather than baroque orchestras.

-Chris

Not too concerned about size so much as lifelike quality. Doesn't take much to make a group sound BIG in a studio situation, and more can kill the sound. You can do a lot with 13 strings (9 vln, 2 vla, 2 cello) or at max - 20 strings (12 vln, 4 vla, 4 c). Also, using a reverb is not necessarily going to make them mix well as a section to recreate the natural convergence of tone that happens in a real room. Altverb isn't going to be able to do that. So less is sometime more. You can experiment with this if you want. Try 1 string...and keep adding, and see if you can tell the difference.

Same with a2 and a3 ww + brass...don't really need it in studio. To fill a concert hall and beat out the brass at F, YES, but using close miked instruments don't think there is a need in electronic/studio world.

Then there is whether you really want to eventually use live players, and the associated costs. Keeping close to this configuration is what I guess I am trying to sell people on...because, I really believe it makes a difference, and once you taste it....hmm hmm finger lickin gooood....

I would love to hear one of your pieces using this fascinating set-up.Have you posted some music that I might have missed?
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    ...and once you taste it....hmm hmm finger lickin gooood....
    mmmmmm reminds me of a family recipee for finger-lickin' chicken. It's SOOO good! It's like chicken with this really good secret kinda bbqie sauce over it. Delecious!!!

Sorry for the OT

-Chris

Not yet J. Working on a nice studio piece as we speak, but I am such a HORRIBLY slow writer whenever I get the opportunity. Have to get cracking at this one, though, as I have 2 more on que, a sextext, and Vln/PA piece do asap. Then 1 serious piece a year is about all I REALLY should handle.

Hmm yum yum dis 25 piece band is gooood...

Hey, How come I don't have some of those instruments?

(I'm a complete newbie )

MsP

Mattsound. Did you upgrade your GPO studio, NI Player, and library to the latest versions?

I had a problem when I downloaded the latest NI build. The library update wasnt't included. Hence, I downloaded a previous update to Kontack and just ran the LIBRARY update off of it, and got those additional instruments. I believe this has been fixed, but you never know...

Go Back to forum