• Register
  • Help

Topic: WHAT IS GOOD/BAD ABOUT GIGASAMPLER????

Share/Bookmark

WHAT IS GOOD/BAD ABOUT GIGASAMPLER????

I would like to have some user opinions about Gigasampler.
    I work with an excillent hardware sampler and I would like to know what are the main differences between this software sampler compared to a hardware sampler.
    In other words, what is good and what is bad about Gigasampler?

Thanxzz!!

CAT

Re: WHAT IS GOOD/BAD ABOUT GIGASAMPLER????

The answer is complex or simple. The simple answer is: If you were always complaining about memory-restrictions, bull-eye editing and load times, then GS is the choice. It is fairly stable, still a number of bugs, but it really works, though some guys in this forum are complaining about clicks and things.
    A hardware-sampler would have been the wrong choice for me. Mybe it is the right for you, but that depends on what you are looking for.
    Horst.

If you hate computers and don\'t know (and don\'t wanna know) anything about them, then don\'t even consider GS and keep on making music on a good hardware sampler. However if you, like me, don\'t mind the funny stuff that comes with a computer (especially windows) than GS is the greatest thing ever. I still cannot believe that untill a few months ago I was only using hardware samplers. Even without big memory (although it is great that you don\'t have to think about it) GS would be great. I edit all my sounds, loops, drums etc in wavelab. Never had such an easy time getting superb looping (I sometimes need them), filterd drums or whatever.
    Ofcourse GS is far from perfect, but so is any other sampler. I expect a lot from the upcoming versions, but even without that GS is the thing for me (and I have a lot of very happy clients nowadays).

Hi THere

Another boon with GS is the cost. I would love to own an EMU 64ultra @ £2700 but there\'s no way my wife would put up with it. Music is an expensive hobby/career/pastime anyway so when we started to distribute GS in the UK I bought the LE version.

Its only £149. I wouldn\'t get a second hand S950 at that price and I get none of the restrictions on sample size. I suppose what I am saying is that as the chaps above me have stated,GS is not for everyone BUT for a £149 it makes a great, useful augmentation to my existing setup.

Good Luck

KIA

pros:-

1) Potentially unlimited memory of sampled instruments

2) Open System and upgradable.

3) Digital domain

cons:

1) Mixer doesnt serve any purpose and i don\'t think Nemesys realise this.

2) Polyphony gets eaten up very fast unless you have a very very fast system, and speaking of systems..

3) Performance depends on your hardware system and will vary from system to system. The software is very dependant on CPU and hard disk access time, among other things.

4) The patch editor is complicated to use; simple tasks may take a little bit of editing in the editor before results can be achieved. Some simple things can\'t even be achived; Example, how do you get MONOPHONIC mode (for monophonic instruments like bass) from GS anyway?

There\'s too many too write but i think this should give you the idea.

pros:-

1) Potentially unlimited memory of sampled instruments

2) Open System and upgradable.

3) Digital domain

cons:

1) Mixer doesnt serve any purpose and i don\'t think Nemesys realise this.

2) Polyphony gets eaten up very fast unless you have a very very fast system, and speaking of systems..

3) Performance depends on your hardware system and will vary from system to system. The software is very dependant on CPU and hard disk access time, among other things.

4) The patch editor is complicated to use; simple tasks may take a little bit of editing in the editor before results can be achieved. Some simple things can\'t even be achived; Example, how do you get MONOPHONIC mode (for monophonic instruments like bass) from GS anyway?

There\'s too many too write but i think this should give you the idea.

For natural sounds and as production machine to play library sounds, the GS is far off all other machines - and it is just the beginning! I have the direct comparison to AKAI 5000 and E-mu, because I am work daily with them. For doing single sample editing and sound design the E-mu is better the GS because of it´s direct acess to the samples and cool DSP functions - this is awful on GS presently, every little change needs the editor. AKAI 5000 is far more complicated and time consuming and he has no features and is still buggy. Presently I edit Total Piano on the S 6000 and I have 10 or more shutdowns or freezes the DAY.

Thanx!@! for all the replies,
    guess I better go to the store now..

CAT

Holger, I use Wavelab for those cool DSP functions (I don\'t think it can get any cooler than this).
    What do you use for editing your samples? Are you having no crashes using GS?

Joris Vincken

Thanks for all the excellent complements and fairness on what needs improvment! Most of the cons are being addressed and should be non issues before too long.
    Have fun
    Dave

Go Back to forum