• Register
  • Help

Topic: Creatings a balanced orchestra

Creatings a balanced orchestra

Hello, everyone. I haven't been on the boards in a while and am glad to be back. And, of course, I come back with a question.

Whenever I build an orchestra in DPO Studio, I always have to tweak with the volume of each instrument. Oftentimes the woodwinds are way too quiet upon the first load and the strings are way too loud. Is there a preset orchestra patch that has everything balanced just right, or am I just being difficult?
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator

San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Creatings a balanced orchestra

Dont forgit to set the mod wheel on first play...

Yes, the woodwinds are often too quiet and the strings often too lond...untill I mix down an audio file. But you can only do this in a sequencer. What's your system like? Then reason my levels (and even eq ) are all off in the GPO DXi upon innitial playback is a suspected CPU problem. I have a P4 1.8 ghz. In GPO studio my levels are honest, but the GPO DXi everything gets messed up untill I export an audio file and the levels are just right and the EQ sounds soooo much better and the sound is warmer, richer, balanced, and GPO beautiful!!

That's my experience. If you have a sequencer, I highly recomend you use it instead of GPO studio (if your processor is weak) because GPO studio records exactly what you hear, and with a processor like mine that means skipping in the tuttis, uneven tempos...etc.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan
    ....and the strings are way too loud......
    Over the past year or so, I've gradually 'turned the strings down' to improve the balance when scoring for full orchestra. Listening to my collection of Walton, Elgar and VWilliams CDs, I've noticed how the strings are often very sweet and quite distant. I'm now emulating the balance with GPO and I'm thrilled with the results I'm getting. By quietening the strings, it gives the illusion of a bigger orchestra and space. I rarely take the strings above pp these days - but it does depend on the type of music ofcourse.

Sometime ago with a library update, the strings were given a bit more 'bite'. This has enabled me to reduce the volume and yet still retain a bit of courseness in the sound which I think adds to the realism.

Regards, Graham

Go Back to forum