• Register
  • Help

Topic: TV deals

Share/Bookmark

TV deals

Hey there,

For all the people that have worked on TV shows, what kind of agreement did you sign for music? Was it a "work-for-hire" or something else? Are there typical deals signed for TV shows?

Thanks for your help.

-Arya

Re: TV deals

"Work for hire" is pretty standard. It's also fairly standard to be forced to surrender the publisher's share (but keep the writer's share) of the performance royalties (ASCAP, BMI, etc.)

Beyond that, not much that I can think of is very standard.

- Mike Greene

Before you surrender your Publisher's share, make sure that they understand what to do with it. If they don't collect the publisher's share from the PRO, you could ask for you to be listed as the publisher on the Cue sheets.

Most production companies don't really care or know about PRO's, they only want the publishing as a way to make sure that they don't lose control of the music licences. I just finished a project where I turned over the Publishing, but put in the contract that I will be listed on the Cue Sheets as publisher so that I can collect royalties instead of them going to waste (since in my case, the production company is not registered as a publisher with any PRO's)
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Before you surrender your Publisher's share, make sure that they understand what to do with it. If they don't collect the publisher's share from the PRO, you could ask for you to be listed as the publisher on the Cue sheets.

Most production companies don't really care or know about PRO's, they only want the publishing as a way to make sure that they don't lose control of the music licences. I just finished a project where I turned over the Publishing, but put in the contract that I will be listed on the Cue Sheets as publisher so that I can collect royalties instead of them going to waste (since in my case, the production company is not registered as a publisher with any PRO's)
    Now there is some valuable advice worth remembering!

Go Back to forum