• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: This Forum is like a Gaggle of Geese!

Orcas Island

This Forum is like a Gaggle of Geese!

Lessons of the Geese
    By Christopher Knight

In the fall when you see geese heading south for the winter flying in a "V" formation, you may be interested in knowing why they fly that way.

It has been discovered that as each goose flaps its wings it creates an "uplift" for the birds that follow. By flying in a "V"-formation, the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own

Quite similar to people who are part of a community and share a common direction get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of another and lift each other up along the way.

Whenever a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the flock

If we have as much sense as geese we will stay in formation and share information with those headed the same way we are going.

When the lead goose gets tired, it rotates back into the formation and another goose takes over

It pays to take turns contributing and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each other's skills, capabilities, and unique arrangements of gifts, talents, and resources. It is good to be willing to accept help and give out help to others.

Geese from behind often honk to encourage those up front to keep the pace.

Words or support and encouragement help energize those on the front line, helping them to keep pace in spite of their every day pressures and fatigue

In groups where there is encouragement, the production is always greater. The power of encouragement is the quality of honking we seek.

We need to make sure our honking is encouraging and not discouraging.
    It is important that our honking be encouraging...

Otherwise its just - well..honking.

Finally, When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow the injured one down to help and protect it. They stay with him until it is able to fly again or passes on. Then they launch out with another formation or catch up with their group

When one of us is down, its up to the others to stand by him in time of trouble

If we are like geese, we will stand by each other when things get rough as well as when things are going well.

The next time you see a formation of geeses think of our community. It seems that this forum has had as much sense as geese.

It is indeed a reward and a privilge to flying with such superb folks!

Gary Garritan

Re: This Forum is like a Gaggle of Geese!

(the good kind, of course)
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer

This makes me think of Darwin's much misunderstood "survival of the fittest" riff.Some have taken it to mean the triumph of strength,only the strong survive,devil take the hindmost, yada yada......
    What can make a species fit for survival is its capacaty to co-operate.We stand on the shoulders of our ancestors,and dont have to invent fire,the wheel,binary code etc.We learn from each other,and consequently lead more expansive lives.
    Though a relative newcomer to this forum,I have gained immensely from participation.It is unique in my experience,for the cheerful and encouraging tone.Long may it continue.

......takes baritone sax....fingers lowest note....lets out a long Hoooooonk

Not only that, but did you know why one arm of the V is usually longer than the other?

Because there are more geese on that side!

Well, I've been called a honky before, but not by such distinguished company! That's a very thoughtful post, Gary, as well as thought-provoking. Of course if we had half the sense God gave a goose, we'd be living in paradise, instead of killing each other over drugs or oil.

Yes, I do honk 'encouragingly' at my fellow travelers who happen to be in front of me. Instead of 'road rage', I hereby dub it 'goose grease.' Greasing the wheels of cooperation.

In these forums, I try to honk gentle encouragement to my fellow musicians - no rage, just impatient waiting for JABB!!!

Hey, JABB! Honk if you're horny! Next time I see you I shall give you such a goose...

But joking aside, I wish for all the best to my fellow travelers, the humans who speak music as their primary language.
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Gary, you are such a sweet, generous and thoughtful mother goose. Just my two honks.

New York, NY

Well, after all, we are birds of a feather...

West Seneca, NY

A Flock of Seagulls ...

I LIKED this!.......:-)

San Francisco Bay Area

I would like to vote for best goose!

Go Back to forum