• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why Do I need 4 midi ports?

Share/Bookmark

Why Do I need 4 midi ports?

Im using my giga on a stand alone system and I was intending on treating it like a \"normal\" sampler like my rack stuff. Why do I need to connect 4 midi ports to it?

Re: Why Do I need 4 midi ports?

Is there a way to edit controller information, such as expression in Cakewalk Pro Audio, for one Port (say on channel 1) and not have those expression changes applied to channel 1, Port 2?

If you do use all 4 ports (all 64 channels) it\'s unlikely that you\'ll ever have ALL 64 playing at the same time but it\'s nice to be able to load tons of different articulations of each instrument and have them all available easily.
    I would recommend using all 4 ports and getting LOTS of RAM. Also, if you plan to do any layering of sounds, it\'s nice to have those extra ports.

Gav

Doug,
    The Giga has MIDI link option buttons, when you un-check them, you should be able to have all the controllers run independently for each port (1~4) and for each MIDI-Assigned-CH (1~16). Of course in the cakewalk (MIDI setup), you should assign their own MIDI-CH and MIDI-PORT for each tracks in entire project. That\'s all.

Hope this helps,
    Long

>>>Is there a way to edit controller information, such as expression in Cakewalk Pro Audio, for one Port (say on channel 1) and not have those expression changes applied to channel 1, Port 2?<<<

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 09-20-2001).]

You don’t need to. It all depends on how many channels you want to send to GSt.

Hi,
    According the MIDI specification, it is limited to 16 MIDI Channels per MIDI-Ports. So, when you need more MIDI channels, let\'s say 32 MIDI-CH, you will need an additional MIDI-port and so on. Giga has total of 4 MIDI-port, which gives you 64-MIDI-CH, it doesn\'t mean that you must use them all.

Hope this answers your question,
    Long

Go Back to forum