• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking for students...

Looking for students...

I'm looking for serious, motivated students who are willing to learn music theory. I'm still in college myself, but I really desire to teach theory to keep my skills sharp. I will be getting my bachelors in music theory and comp and going all the way to my doctorate. I've completed all my music theory courses (1-4), sight singing and ear training (1-4), along with many other university music courses and piano is my primary instrument.

I'm willing to teach from the very beginning of theory (scales, intervals, modes, counterpoint rules, secondary functions, modulations, non-chord tones, inversions, etc.) all the way up to late romantic theory (augmented chords, mode mixture, enharmonic reinterpretations, extended and altered chords, etc.)

I will make up the exercises in a notation (Finale or Overture) program and send it off to you via e-mail. I will fully explain the exercise, what to look for, and how to do it. Communication will happen via e-mail or yahoo messenger. I check my e-mail often and will communicate via phone if needed. If there is anyone interested in taking the opportunity please let me know ASAP. I'm looking to teach 1 to 2 students at this time. Thank you for your time.

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Re: Looking for students...

I'm very interested in learning music theory. I want to learn and understand what is going on in the music I hear. And hopefully, how to use theory as a basis for composition.
    I'll be glad to give you my background and level of knowledge so far (fairly low). I have read the counterpoint book and some music theory books, but like you, I need a little interaction. In my case, to make it stick and mean something. I would probably need to start close to the beginning to build up some confidence. I understand there are different scales, intervals, how to build a 9th chord, that there are counterpoint rules, etc., but I would like to put them to use.
    I have Overture SE 3.5, if that's OK, or I'll get what I need.
    I am serious about spending time with excersises, etc. and will give it my best shot. I'm a pretty good learner, self taught with most stuff.
    So if you have a slot, I'd love to do it. Thanks for the opportunity.

Tom C.

Learning music theory is something I'm definitely interested in. I've been trying with a couple of books ("Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory" by Michael Miller and "Composing Music" by William Russo) but haven't gotten very far with either one, and was considering getting the Sibelius course when I could afford it. My sense of that approach is that if it's interactive, it might be easier for me to follow and absorb.

I took two short music classes in public school, but that was decades ago. In grade school I played violin for a year and a half in the school orchestra, and then I took private lessons as an adult about 12 - 13 years ago in "fiddle style" playing for about six months. I've had some difficulty in the past sight-reading, and once I learned how the piece was meant to sound, I would follow that instead of the sheet music. Now, my instrument is the computer with a keyboard controller, and I've been writing songs in the "electronic" genre for about a year and a half. Athough I hate the term, it's likely that most of my work would be put in the "New Age" section at the record stores, as it is more early 80's melodic style rather than current beat-driven mainstream electronica. Sample MP3's can be provided, if that's desireable, or even a CD sent via snail-mail.

Once I have a good grasp of theory, I would like to move on into composition. I don't lack musical inspiration, but what I feel I do lack is the knowledge and skill to develop those musical inspiratons into fuller compositions. My current method usually becomes hunt-and-peck at notes to find combinations that please me once I have the piece started. It works to a fashion, but is time-consuming and I feel my lack of theory and composition knowlege limits my choices.

FL Studio 5 is the program I do most of my music work within, and my personal goal has been to complete an album's worth of music every twelve months - 12 songs and a minimum of 42 minutes total playing time. I managed to do that this last year, but didn't take into account the extra work involved in post-production, so it seems I need to adjust that goal to one album in every 18 month cycle. I also have a copy of Finale NotePad 2005a. I've had my eye on Sibelius, but, again, it will have to wait until I can afford it. I don't use IM programs, but am online most every day and e-mail contact is easy to maintain.

In addition to my album-a-year goal, to be able to eventually compose film scores would be a great personal accomplishment for me, and in spite of starting at this late point in life (43) people who have heard some of my compositions feel it's within the realm of possibility. For myself, I can see it will take a lot of work, and it's something I'd really like to pursue.

Hey there.

I would love to learn more about counterpoint. I have had Theory I-IV as well (loved every minute of it), but nothing beyond a Sophmore level in college. I have audited several upper level courses on orchestration and music history, but until I am accpeted to music school, I cannot take upper level theory.
    I have a basic understanding of counterpoint and some of the basic techniques, but I would love to delve in deep.

I appluad your way of keeping this fresh in your mind. It has been a few years for me and unless you use it a lot, or at least think about it much - you lose it. In addition to getting my piano chops up to playing other people's music well enough, I need to refresh myself on theory as well for the placement exams.

I have Finale 2004c, Overture SE 3.6, and a willing mind.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Smile Re: Looking for students...

[I would also like to learn more. I'm a choir director (for 13 years), mostly self-taught, excellent in math, but my knowledge beyond the basic theory I have from learning so many Church pieces, is limited.

I have GPO, Sonar, and Finale 2006. You probably have enough students,but if you can handle one more, please let me know!

Bob Metivier (the other Robert M)

Hi captain.
    I'm a french professional guitar player.
    I'm interested with your proposal.
    I'd really like to learn more about music theory, especially counterpoint. I've got a good knowledge of 'jazz' theory and harmony. I've followed arranging 2/3 courses online at berklee. I studied jazz improv and writing at the CIM (Paris).
    I use cubase sx3, finale 2006 and GPO.
    If you've got some spare room, please let me know.
    Thanks in advance.

Yannick DEBORNE

Hello, I thank all of you for taking interest in my offer and the time to write back. This will be very fun and I am excited to get started. Now, please write me a private message with your e-mail address (if you don't mind) and we can get started on the level that you wish. Remember, we can work at your pace, so when you have the time to do this I am here for you. Once again, thank you for your time and I would love to hear back from all of you soon.

Wow! Good news and bad news- GOOD NEWS I've had six serious takers on my offer and we'll be on our way soon. BAD NEWS- I don't want to take more than I can handle, so I can't take anymore. I hate to say that, but with school and all I shouldn't overwhelm myself. I thank all of you and really appreciate the support. Once I get another break I can offer to teach more. Bye!

Orcas Island

That is good news! Thanks for giving of your time and knowledge. I trust this endeavor will be as rewarding for you as it is for your lucky students. If there is anything way we can support you or help, let us know.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

That is good news! Thanks for giving of your time and knowledge. I trust this endeavor will be as rewarding for you as it is for your lucky students. If there is anything way we can support you or help, let us know.

Gary Garritan
    Thanks for the comments Mr. Garritan, I appreciate it! It is an honor to be able to share my knowledge with memebrs of the GPO community. I've always loved coming here and I have learned a lot from this forum, so now that I have advanced to the next level of learning, I want to share what I know Take care!

Go Back to forum