• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Kontakt volume balance

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Kontakt volume balance

    I've just updated to 1.1.8.3 and the volume balance between instruments has changed drastically. I can hardly hear the strings but some of the other instruments are screaming at me. I wasn't expecting this!

    For sometime I've been tweaking my scores to make the strings quieter because, for me, they have always been a bit too loud. It sounds as if this has been corrected but the music I've been working on for over a year is now messed up! I'm sure this is easily corrected by placing different volume expressions at the beginning of the score for each instrument - but before I start messing around, I would be interested to learn whether the relative volumes of the instruments really have changed - and by how much.

    BTW, this isn't a Finale 2006 issue as I'm still using 2005. I tried 2006 briefly and my existing scores sounded absolutely awful. My impression is that one will need to strip out existing expressions and start from scratch but that's maybe a topic for another thread. My main concern at the moment is to understand why the Kontakt update has upset the balance.

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated please. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: Kontakt volume balance

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    I've just updated to 1.1.8.3 and the volume balance between instruments has changed drastically. I can hardly hear the strings but some of the other instruments are screaming at me. I wasn't expecting this!

    For sometime I've been tweaking my scores to make the strings quieter because, for me, they have always been a bit too loud. It sounds as if this has been corrected but the music I've been working on for over a year is now messed up! I'm sure this is easily corrected by placing different volume expressions at the beginning of the score for each instrument - but before I start messing around, I would be interested to learn whether the relative volumes of the instruments really have changed - and by how much.

    BTW, this isn't a Finale 2006 issue as I'm still using 2005. I tried 2006 briefly and my existing scores sounded absolutely awful. My impression is that one will need to strip out existing expressions and start from scratch but that's maybe a topic for another thread. My main concern at the moment is to understand why the Kontakt update has upset the balance.

    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated please. Thanks.

    Are you using X-Custom instruments? If so, the problem may be the velocity slider, which seems to work backwards -- mostly.

    Richard

  3. #3

    Re: Kontakt volume balance

    Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Are you using X-Custom instruments? If so, the problem may be the velocity slider, which seems to work backwards -- mostly.

    Richard
    Thanks Richard,

    I don't think I'm using X-Custom. I certainly haven't used it before! I'll take a closer look though just in case something unexpected has happened. I've simply downloaded the update, opened up one of my scores in Finale 2005 and the balance has definitely changed.

    Before updating Kontakt, I did install Finale 2006 but I quickly returned to 2005 as it was fairly obvious 2k6 is going to take a bit of sorting out. I can't imagine that simply installing 2006 has altered anything. My scores are still saved as 2005 files so they haven't been messed about by 2006 yet.

    Regards, Graham

  4. #4

    Re: Kontakt volume balance

    After you update to 1.1.8.3, "Use std. CC#7/CC#10 volume & pan" is checked by default. As far as I can judge from the F05 Demo, this is not so good.

  5. #5
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: Kontakt volume balance

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    After you update to 1.1.8.3, "Use std. CC#7/CC#10 volume & pan" is checked by default. As far as I can judge from the F05 Demo, this is not so good.

    Well, you might have hit the target here. I remember changing the pedal default, but can't say for sure about the volume and pan. That certainly sounds like a very likely cause.

    Richard

  6. #6

    Re: Kontakt volume balance

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    After you update to 1.1.8.3, "Use std. CC#7/CC#10 volume & pan" is checked by default. As far as I can judge from the F05 Demo, this is not so good.
    Nickie, thanks. Where do I find this? Is it part of the HP preferences in F05 or do I need to go into Kontakt somewhere? Sorry if I'm being dense but it's getting late here as I guess it must be where you are. Regards, Graham.

  7. #7

    Re: Kontakt volume balance

    Kontakt Player | Options.

    Yeah, it's late, and I'm about to say nighty-night

  8. #8

    Re: Kontakt volume balance

    I just checked my installation of the latest version and it does indeed have the Option for cc7 and cc10 activated as a default. Must have snuck in when they coded the latest version - it was not our intention to change the default (deactivated.) Easy fix - uncheck that box in the player's Options menu. That should bring everything back to the way it was before. The Finale install might also have an impact on this because Finale *does* activate that option in their program.

    Tom

  9. #9

    Re: Kontakt volume balance

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I just checked my installation of the latest version and it does indeed have the Option for cc7 and cc10 activated as a default. Must have snuck in when they coded the latest version - it was not our intention to change the default (deactivated.) Easy fix - uncheck that box in the player's Options menu. That should bring everything back to the way it was before. The Finale install might also have an impact on this because Finale *does* activate that option in their program.
    Tom,

    The new Mixer (and Studio View) in Finale 2006 requires that this option be checked, which is probably why installing 2006 changes the Kontakt Player prefs.

    Also, Graham, you should really use Finale 2006 for GPO playback. I understand if you need to do other work in Fin2005 for now, but playback in Finale 2006 is vastly improved, so even if you want to stick with Fin2005 for the moment, I would recommend using Fin2006 for playback. Keep in mind, in Fin2006, you can easily use the mixer or studio view to set levels on a per-piece basis. (That is, provided "Use standard Volume & Pan" is checked.)

  10. #10

    Re: Kontakt volume balance

    Nickie, Tom, Thad, Richard - Thanks, I would never have worked this out on my own. Regards, Graham

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •