• Register
  • Help

Topic: Majestic interlude

Majestic interlude

Hi Gang,

Here is a nice piano piece that I wrote back in nineteen hunderd and ninety eight. It was one of the first pieces I wrote on the computer and now I play it live for you.

I used GPO Grand piano and played it on my Studio logic SL-990xp.

Unfortunatly when I bought my keyboard they advertised it as having key velocity settings for the light or heavy touch. I have not figured out how to set them and I've had the key board for two years. Wish someone out there could explain to me how to set them. Right now the keyboard is way to sensitive so I have trouble controlling loud and soft playing.

Any way I hope you all enjoy it. It's nothing special. Just a light piece.

Majestic Interlude
    (The Nut )

Re: Majestic interlude

I don't know how to adjust the velocity curve on your keyboard.

But, perhaps you could get more expression by using the "X-custom" version of the piano. Select it, then try setting the velocity slider to the right. You may find a setting that gives you more dynamic range.

Here's a link to the manual for the old version of the SL-990. Perhaps the procedure mentioned therein is the same for your model SL-990XP:

Also, if you are playing through a sequencer, most sequencers can scale the velocity.
    If so , you can try either reducing or increasing the velocity to get the level of dynamics that you want.

Hi 88fingers

I truly enjoyed this piece I think that it's perfect as it is, so I have no useful criticism. It is very light, yet it remains full of emotion, very difficult to do IMO. Very nice work!! I hope to hear more of your work soon

Take Care,

What a bummer. I had my whole reply typed up and my internet explorer crashed, again. Meastro knows what a task it is for me to type.

ok. Here I go again.

HI Rob,

Thank you for the usefull tips. My dad has the old SL-990 wich has a shape key on it. I went with the XP beacause all the advertisements I saw said it had velocity curve as well as a mod wheel and pitch wheel. When I got it, I read and re-read the insturction on how to set the curve. The instructions say the curve can be set but they don't say how. After about 3 months of fussing with it I sent an e-mail to Fatar and got no response. This really bums me out cuz I could realy use that feature. I feel robbed !!!!

As for the Xcustom files I have had nothing but problems with the X- piano. since day one if I play my keyboard nice and soft all the notes sound but if I play a couple of loud ones or a bunch of loud ones most the notes won't play.
    I have tried messing with the velocity slider and a few of the others but it doesn't help. Any one got any suggestions?

WIsh I could get the xcustom working. I really like the sound of that piano.
    Thanks for the input Rob,

HI Maestro,
    Glad you like the piece and thank you for the kind words. I guess I owe you an other piano piece since I haven't delivered my western to you yet.
    If I get a chance I will record an other tonight and post it soon.

I was't sure If I made this piece to mudy in my poor mastering attempt. It is really hard to find a good average with my crummy speakers.

Thanks for the replies you two. Talk at yas soon.

This measly reply took me 20 min to complete.... OY! Vey!!!!!
    (The Nut )

Orcas Island

I thoroughly enjoyed Majestic Interlude. I agree with Stephanie that it's perfect just as it is.

A western? Looking forward to that one. Will you use a honky tonk piano?

Now we know why you are called 88 fingers

Gary Garritan

Gee, I though the piece was well done and I really like the sound you produced with the GPO piano. Hope you get your keyboard velocity problem solved quickly--that can be a bummer...

Give us some more 88.........

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Ok, I gave you more. I must be on one of those producing kicks I get on.

Really I am a nut.

The other thread.
    (The Nut )

I enjoyed this little piano piece very much! I envy your piano playing skills. As movie said, it is light, but full of emotion. Beautiful work! I love the way it flows, definitely sounds majestic.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by 88fingers
    Meastro knows what a task it is for me to type. I guess I owe you an other piano piece since I haven't delivered my western to you yet.
    Hi 88fingers

Thanks for going through all of the torture of replying I know that it's a pain to do all of that typing, but you did a great job as usual!!

Now that you mention it...I have been waiting an awfully long time for that Western piece It isn't nice to keep a lady waiting!! I'm sure that once you're done, that it will be worth the wait!! Looking forward to hearing it

Take care!!

Go Back to forum