• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just for grins

Share/Bookmark

How many of you

How many of you have co-workers that are musicians yet you had no idea?
    At lunch today I was conversing with a couple of the summer session teachers and found that quite a few play instruments, have a degree in music, or have studied under private tutors or continue.
    We have a Crafts and Photography teacher who plays guitar skillfully and the fiddle competently! There is a Reading teacher who plays flute, signs, and is into composition and continues the study there of. Another teacher sings in a band has and still takes formal vocal lessons she teaches Social Studies.
    Our food service coordinator that plays piano and holds a degree in performance. Our principal plays harmonica and our superintendent plays brass. None desire to pursue their talents professionally. All are passionate teachers and despite the potential risks this environment may present at times, all are happy in their positions.
    Just wanted to share with you.
    Last edited by Styxx; 08-05-2005 at 12:21 PM. Reason: change title
    Styxx

Re: How many of you

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    How many of you have co-workers that are musicians yet you had no idea?
    I was chatting with a woman in our breakroom and come to find out, she is Eddie Minnifield's sister. He was the sax player for Prince, Sheila E. and is currently touring with Accoustic Alchemy. Her sister Denise is a big name in Singapore and opens for all the jazz & R&B acts that hit there on their world tours. All of her other siblings are working in music and she is the only one in her family that turned out tone deaf. Even her daughter is shopping labels.
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Re: Just for grins

That's amazing! Ya never know right? Thanks for sharing with us.
    Styxx

Let's see....
    Not a musical thing, but I recently found out that my cousin Nicole is way into architecture, as am I. It was really weird, 'cause neither of us thought anyone else in the family was into architecture, and then suddenly we found out that we were both into architecture! For a while I would just invite her over and we'd design houses and buildings and such together. It was great fun as boring as it may seem!

I also found out that a tenor saxist in my HS band is a very accomplished pianist and has soloed at Carnagie Hall. There was also a clarinetest that was a concerto pianist. Then out of nowhere a cellist I knew wasn't a cellist, but a flutist. I must have confused her for someone else.

-Chris

Last semester in college, on the day I was packing to go home for the summer, I was walking back to the dorm with two friends, and one of them starting talking about playing the piano. When I questioned him further, I discovered that he had been playing the piano since he was around 5, and regularly participated in state-wide competitions!?! Darn it! I would have been much obliged if he had stepped into my room and played a few tunes on my digital keyboard . . . but it was the last day. Oh well, I actually never told him I composed music until that day either. It's funny how such things can happen . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum