• Register
  • Help

Topic: PIII w/only 256MB RAM Okay for Giga?

Share/Bookmark

PIII w/only 256MB RAM Okay for Giga?

I\'ve recently aquired a PIII 600MHz that is maxed out at 256MB of RAM. I\'d like to use this as a dedicated Giga computer but I\'m wondering if I\'ll run into problems with it\'s RAM limitation? I\'d have to add a second HD and a new sound card if I go ahead and make it a Giga only machine so I\'d like to get a pretty good idea how it would work before I spend the dough.

Thanks for any help!

Re: PIII w/only 256MB RAM Okay for Giga?

Maxed out? Put more RAM in!
    I\'d definately suggest a lot more than just 256MB RAM Go for a full GB. You\'ll be REALLY glad you have the extra headroom. RAM is so cheap now you might aswell get lots.
    I have 512MB and I frequently hit the ceiling only using 32 of GS\'s 64 possible MIDI channels.

Gav

Thanks for the tip but it\'s MAXED OUT

You physically cannot put any more RAM in the machine. It has two slots which only hold up to 128MB DIMMs.

Get two new 256MB DIMMs, just about $40~$60 deal!

Okay... please read my posts carefully.

It has two slots which only hold up to 128MB DIMMs. 256 DIMMs are not compatible.

I\'m new here, and I don\'t mean to be rude, but please read the post before you blindingly tell me I need more RAM.

I\'m aware that ram is cheap and I should have a lot of it. I just want to know if Giga will work decently with only 256MB. I don\'t need the full 160 note polyphony and 64 channels. Apparently this must be a crazy idea because no one can handle the idea of having only 256MBs!!

Thanks for you\'re time.

There\'s no harm in trying it out yourself.
    See if 256 mb fit your needs. If not...change motherboard, processor and use at least 512mb. Oh what the hell, buy a new one for Christmas :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by swiftdave777:
    I just want to know if Giga will work decently with only 256MB. I don\'t need the full 160 note polyphony and 64 channels. Apparently this must be a crazy idea because no one can handle the idea of having only 256MBs!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Swiftdave.

I\'m using a PIII 667 with 256MB. I\'m part of the hated minority that is able to run Gigastudio 160, multitrack audio and sequencer on this one humble machine with no snaps, crackles or pops. I keep all my libraries on a smoking 60GB disc.

Now here\'s the catch. You can get decent polyphony with 256MB. What you can\'t do is load a whack of different instrument files. So if you plan to play lots of notes on a small number of instruments, you might be ok with 256MB. If you plan to play a small number of notes on lots of instruments, you\'re probably out of luck. A lot of the people here use GS for big orchestral scores and 256MB is pretty much out of the question.

KB

> Apparently this must be a crazy idea because no one can handle
    > the idea of having only 256MBs

That’s because it’s unimaginable that there’d be a PIII motherboard limited to 256MB. Who makes it?

To answer your original question, it should be fine. 256MB will only limit how many instruments you can load, not the polyphony.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 09-26-2001).]

It\'s a HP Pavillion 8665C, not sure who made the Motherboard.

Thanks for all the replies.

Actually my older machine was a P3 450 with 128Mb and I could get a very decent amount of voices out of it ( I don\'t remember choking the machine). I wasn\'t doing any orchestral stuff though. So yeah, I think you should be OK.

Go Back to forum