• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GIGA and USB

Share/Bookmark

GIGA and USB

I am currently running Logic and am upgrading to a gigastudio setup. I wanted to use Emagic\'s Unitor 8 for midi and timepiece running into my system w/Logic.

Are there any problems with the fact that it is a USB interface? Latency issues? I am still going to be running GIGA through a dedicated machine but wanted to find out if anyone has had problems/suggestions. Thanks!

Re: GIGA and USB

You may want to do a search regarding USB. I had nothing but problems with USB MIDI interfaces. Bad pops and clicks!

Throw the USB interfaces away! Every computer I set up for use with GigaStudio had problems with USB. It limited polyphony and created skips/ticks. Turn USB off in the CMOS directoy at bootup.

There are threads on this subject. If someone has a USB MIDI system correctly working with GigaStudio, I recommend duplicating their set up exactly.

clueless

It was the Midisport I used last. Changed to a parallel port unit and I\'ve been working fine since.

I have had nothing but bliss from the USB Midisport 4x4 attached to my Cubase machine.

I have had nothing but grief from my Giga machine that uses a USB 2x2 Midisport. Midiman support was first rate, but I think there\'s something underlying the whole USB thang that\'s getting in the way.

Robert

Very interesting clueless & Haydn.
    What usb interface were you using. We have many systems with the
    USB MIDISPORT 4X4 midi interface with
    no problems. we havn\'t done anything diffrent to get them to work.

I wonder if it\'s specific to a brand or if ram has something to do with the clicks and pops when using usb.

PaPa Chalk

how much ram did you have when you had the problems?
    i find this very interesting. i\'m trying to figure out if it is a system setting that is causing the problem for some. I wonder why it works for some but not others. I can\'t recall doing anything special to get it to work for us.

PaPa Chalk

The unit I want is the Unitor 8, Emagic\'s version of a midi timepiece. However, this would only be going into my sequencing computer w/Logic.

My giga setup I intend to have an egosys 4140. I have heard USB(midi not audio) w/ sequencer is not a problem, but USB with GIGA=major problems...

The reason why I was going to use the Unitor 8 is b/c I\'ve heard of problems w/MOTU timepiece and Logic which is part of why Emagic has their own timepiece. It\'s supposed to run just as smooth as MOTU timepiece and Digital Performer...

Regarding the question Pa Pa Chalk asked, I tried to use a USB 2x2 Midisport. It worked great with other sound-software but not GigaStudio. I switched to a ISA-bus two-channel card. Problems went away.

I wish I could use USB on that machine. It would be handy for backup and other things.

clueless

Westlake

I have a Unitor II and, rather than USB, run it via the serial interface. Works fine, and I\'m able to keep USB disabled (just in case all the stories are true).

Go Back to forum