• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problems upgrading to 1GB RAM

Share/Bookmark

Problems upgrading to 1GB RAM

I just updated my GigaStudio machine to 1GB RAM (from 512MB) and I am having problems.

I am running under Win98. The first problem I had was that Win98 would no longer boot. I fixed this by (as the Microsoft site suggested) setting the MaxCacheSize in my .ini file to 512MB.

However this seems to have caused a problem in GigaStudio. Now every few minutes I get a \"glitch\" in the audio that can be either popping and clicking or something that sounds like the entire system hiccupping for a second. I suspect this has something to do with the system caching. I have turned off the Virtual Cache (that fixed a similar problem when I initially got Gigastudio) but I fear that my .ini file setting is overriding the Windows setting and the system is back to caching stuff.

I haven\'t upgraded to the latest GigaStudio yet, so I will try that. But I suspect this is a Windows configuration issue. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you fix it?

BTW I still get 160 voice polyphony and the system was working without any problems at 512MB.

Re: Problems upgrading to 1GB RAM

I\'m not sure this will solve the problem.
    Just the idea, what we have done as follows:

We have 1.5GB~2GB in system (multiple boot 98/2000). For the 98 ,We
    added the following line to the [386enh] section of the System.ini file:

MaxPhysPage=40000
    This means: Specifying Amount of RAM Available for Windows, which is limited to 1GB

for further info. you can try other setting: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q181/8/62.ASP

We just be afraid that maybe you are having bad/incompatible memory modules in the system (new 512MB). The windows-98 should be able to handle up to 1GB (at least you can boot it windows without problem). However, the Vcache is limited internally to 800 MB and due to 128MB resource for AGP used. So, in order to keep the system be more stable, Microsoft also recommends the setting of Min/MaxCacheSize up to 512MB
    After we had some experiments, we have set it to about 200MB~256MB, it currently works best for us.

Hope this helps,
    Long

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 09-29-2001).]

Also its worth bearing in mind that many boards cannot run more than a certain number of DRAM rows together stably, even if they have enough dram slots. Always check your motherboard manual to see how memory is supported before you upgrade.

No,no, the system is running just fine. The motherboard can handle 1GB of memory and all applications are running just fine.

When I first got GigaStudio, I was getting a glitch in the audio every 2 to 3 minutes, and the Nemesys Music support folks had me fix it by turning off virtual memory. Well since I expanded up to 1GB of RAM, the glitch is back, every 2 to 3 minutes just like before. I am almost certain the glitch is being caused by the system hitting the hard disk, because I can duplicate the exact glitch by using the computer for other things (say going to a web page) while GigaStudio is playing.

I suspect the system is caching something due to the change I had to make in the system.ini in order for Windows to boot with 1GB of RAM.

No one else has experienced a problem like this? I sent mail to Nemesys Support last night, so we will see if they come up with anything. I was hoping that upgrading to the newest release of GigaStudio would help, but it didn\'t.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>The windows-98 should be able to handle up to 1GB (at least you can boot it windows without problem). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually that isn\'t true. The problem I had with Windows is well documented right here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP

I am just afraid that the Microsoft solution (setting the MaxFileCache in system.ini) has caused my old Gigastudio problem related to caching to reappear.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 10-03-2001).]

Which mother board and chipset you have? video card?
    You are right! it could be booted problem if your have about 1GB! Well, reality is maybe 10% of changed or less? there might some tricks or just because the hardware dependency problem?
    We have 5 systems, all are being used about 1GB or more, we couldn\'t re-produce the boot problem at all. We knew some does and some doesn\'t! There must be different!

Here is something I would do:
    1> Make sure the BIOS/motherboard support 1GB, check it in the BIOS editor, does it recognize installed-1GB
    2> Make sure the RAM-FSB speed, ECC, buffers/non-buffers, are they same type?
    3> Try to disable the startup program in windows, all of them (mscofig)
    4> When your system is not necessary required initalization for MS-DOS, Try to remove all of MS-DOS configuration like autoexec.bat and system.ini. These would change the allocated memory in system.
    5> The video card would be a trouble maker too, some of them is required special memory location in RAM/VCache (excluded command line setting is required in system.ini). Make sure in the BIOS setup for it is correct as what it is AGP/PCI (PCI is by default).
    6> Disable USB in BIOS, some of system is fault to use it, it could causes extremely interrupted real-time process application.
    7> Remove other programs, which are not required for audio. It would helps a lot!

Summary: possibilities could be BIOS setup/limited, in-compatible DRAM, USB, Video card and/or maybe startup/MS-DOS initialization.

Hope this helps,
    Long

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 10-04-2001).]

The problem is not the video card, any additional windows programs, the audio card or anything else that has been in the system. The system has been running GigaStudio perfectly for almost a year. I haven\'t changed ANY components. I haven\'t changed ANY settings. There are no programs on the system other that Audio related programs. In fact I have a separate boot to deal with Gigastudio.

All I have done is upgraded memory from 512MB to 1GB. The motherboard most definitely supports 1GB.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 10-04-2001).]

Hi, Jamieh i had a similar problem with my Abit mobo after upgrading to 3x256 Ram.
    Every time Gigastudio got access to HD
    some clicks and pops appeared. I set
    the \" PCI Master Time-Out\" in the mobo bios to a value greater then zero ( \"1\" was fine ).

Go Back to forum