• Register
  • Help

Topic: A couple months alone in a dark cave...

A couple months alone in a dark cave...

Hello GPO fans! I'm new to this forum but I've been reading here for quite some time. I consider myself a hobbyist like others here--my day job is a computer programmer. I actually received a double major in college in computer science and music composition so I can appreciate both left and right-brain activities!

I'm here obviously because I purchased a copy of GPO a couple months ago and I believe it was a wonderful investment. This is something I've been always looking for but thought it was out of my price range. I originally purchased Gigastudio and even built a dedicated machine for it. The included libraries only left me wanting more, but when I saw the price of the full Vienna Symphony libraries for example, well I got sticker shock.

I've been wanting to post some of my demos to this forum and receive some constructive feedback. It sounds like most of you know what you're doing and have a lot of experience. So if you would be so kind to take a moment to listen to some these. To me these are a little rough--I am not an audio engineer. :-) But I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thank you all, especially you Mr. Garritan!

Ooops... well apparently I can't post URL's yet???
    Anyway, you should be able to navigate to soundclick and searching for my artist name "Schroeder's Opus", you will find 3 posts there. Maybe I'll try again later.
    "You know, Lois, I'm really not comfortable talking about this amelodically." - Brian the Dog

Orcas Island

Re: A couple months alone in a dark cave...

Welcome to the GPO Community!

Major in both computer science and music composition so you can appreciate both left and right-brain activities? That's better than half-brain me over here.

I went over to soundclick and listened to your demos. Your Orchestral Fugue is marvelous. I like the writing and the many orchestral colors and textures. The Woodwind quartet was also enjoyable. Your musical training and compositional talent certainly shows.

Can't post URL's??? You should be hable to just put the URL here in the post and it will establish a link. If that doesn't work I'll be happy to host your works on the GPO site.

Thanks for joining us and sharing your music.

Gary Garritan

Yes, for some reason it seems Northern Sounds blocks URL posts until you've made at least 5 posts, I think (to make sure you're not spamming, I suppose).

Hope you don't mind if I go ahead and post a link:

A double major in computer science and musical composition is definitely impressive! As Garritan said, you're training and talent certainly shows! You're orchestration is wonderful, and you're melodies are beautiful. I love your works! The quintet is quite elegant, it is impressive how much you can do with such a small amount of instruments . . . a rare talent.

I believe I will be quite a big fan of yours, and I look forward to more of your work! Welcome to the forum.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thank you for your wonderful comments! Peer review is a good thing. There are some really fantastic pieces on here that I really enjoyed listening to. One of things I struggle with is deciding what "form" I want a particular piece to take. More often than not, it takes a life of it's own. (My Orchestral Fugue is an exception... I meant for it to branch off rather abruptly there! :-) )

GPO has allowed me to re-realize some of my compositions from school that I never had read or performed. Going back to something I finished several years ago is an adventure. Though not always a pleasant one, but....

Thanks for posting that link, Sean. When I get to my 5th post, I will try posting some new links. I seem to remember reading that somewhere else.

(Geez... can't even post a smiley!)
    "You know, Lois, I'm really not comfortable talking about this amelodically." - Brian the Dog

Wow! Your orchestra fugue is really cool! It is very exciting. I'm listening through it again right now. The quintet is also very enjoyable. Very impressive writing and programming. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum,the fugue is quite an adventure in sonority. I enjoyed the changing styles in the piece,and the grasp of GPO is very assured.I will be looking out for more from you.

Go Back to forum