• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Asus or Gigabyte mainboard ? (AMD761)

Share/Bookmark

Asus or Gigabyte mainboard ? (AMD761)

What mainboard would be better for a Giga-dedicated system, using a AMD Athlon 1,2 GHz CPU?

- Asus A7M266 AMD761 mainboard
    - Gigabyte GA-7DXR AMD761 mainboard

I hear about lots of Asus problems on this forum, but those are Asus boards with a VIA chipset, this would be a AMD761 chipset.

Maarten

------------------
    ( www.maartenspruijt.com )

Re: Asus or Gigabyte mainboard ? (AMD761)

i have the 1.4 athlon with the Asus A7V133...it\'s a VIA board and it works great. again, i really don\'t know why people are having problems with this board. The A7V133 is one of the main board used at Soundchaser for their system, my local music dealer also use that board for big video/audio rig.

i have the 1.4 athlon with the Asus A7V133...it\'s a VIA board and it works great. again, i really don\'t know why people are having problems with this board. The A7V133 is one of the main board used at Soundchaser for their system, my local music dealer also use that board for big video/audio rig.

**** ! sorry for the triple post.

I just put together a Asus A7V-133 board with a 1.4 AMD cpu for a friend and it works great.
    I had a bit of problems with the Muskin 1.5 ram [3- 512 sticks]at first but muskin replaced them within 24 hour shipping [ they stand behind there products very well] and send out new ram that worked great, the initial prob was the machine would only recognize 1 gig.
    did not have any probs with the computer after the intial config

According to the benchmarks presented on Tom\'s Guides, the Gigabyte 7DXR blows away the Asus A7M. Check out the Abit KG7 which also blows away the A7M and is cheaper. I went with the DFI AK76SN which tests just minutely slower than the Gigabyte and Abit but is priced about $50 dollars cheaper. I don\'t know about Gigasampler performance because I use a PII 600E on a dedicated computer with 750 Megs of ram for that but I can run tons of plugins on my DFI motherboard, Sonar, 512 megs of DDR ram computer. I am finally happy. Hope this helps. Peace.

According to the benchmarks presented on Tom\'s Guides, the Gigabyte 7DXR blows away the Asus A7M. Check out the Abit KG7 which also blows away the A7M and is cheaper. I went with the DFI AK76SN which tests just minutely slower than the Gigabyte and Abit but is priced about $50 dollars cheaper. I don\'t know about Gigasampler performance because I use a PII 600E on a dedicated computer with 750 Megs of ram for that but I can run tons of plugins on my DFI motherboard, Sonar, 512 megs of DDR ram computer. I am finally happy. Hope this helps. Peace.

Since yesterday I also have an ASUS A7V (133) board along with a 1.4 GHz Athlon. So far it really works great, giving 160 voices without any clicks. BTW, I use 1.5GB of RAM.
    Right now I\'m just not sure about the harddisk interfaces. Just plugging an ATA100 drive (IBM deskstar) into one of the ATA100-IDE interfaces doesn\'t work. Using one of the other interfaces does work, though.
    Does anybody happen to know about additional drivers that need to be installed? (The manual isn\'t really helpful...)

Regards,
    Jens

Joe,

Both of the internal IDE interfaces are ATA100. Only use the second ATA100 if you want to raid your HD for video work otherwise just use the main IDE.
    By using the second interface, you will be using more resources from the PC and IRQ.

Go Back to forum