• Register
  • Help

Topic: Laptop Gstudio

Share/Bookmark

Laptop Gstudio

Does anyone have experience with running Giga-Studio on a laptop and if so how did it run? What kind of laptop was it?

Thanks,

Init

Re: Laptop Gstudio

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vincent:
    Does anyone have experience with running Giga-Studio on a laptop and if so how did it run? What kind of laptop was it?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Dell Latitude C600 is completely unusable for audio. In fact, it\'s completely unusable near audio. The video generates some monstrous electric field that causes very audible noise in the audio signal. Both the built-in soundchip and my audiophile 2496 in the docking bay (not in the laptop itself, obviously) suffered. Any video activity (wave animation in my multitrack software, time counters, even moving the mouse) would \"appear\" in the audio. Audio cables running near the machine would pick it up too. I worked on this for weeks trying to solve the problem. I tried external monitors, shutting down the video in the BIOS and working blind, and one night in a drunken stupor even tried wrapping the whole thing in tin foil.

The Dell tech support web site has a user forum and it appears that many users are frustrated with similar video/audio clashes. Dell tech support\'s advice to me was to point me to a web page that very carefully explains how to disable keyboard beeps.

I now run GSt and all other audio apps on my desktop computer and shut down the Dell while recording.

KB

Thanx Kbub, I guess mine will not be that Dell then unless I find me a separate bunker :-)

In general, I have read the archives on the laptop issue, I am very interested in updates on this subject

Better than a laptop. with full atx mobo possibilities is at

bsicomputer.com

Called the N9 Field Go.

It\'s a lunchbox size system. Can fit two harddrives, cdrom or cdrw, floppy, fans, the works.
    The 13\" monitor one is just over $2000.

Cheaper than a laptop. As reliable as your desktop...can\'t beat that!!

Something tells me.... it\'s not going to be a LAPTOP, hmmmmmm

Go Back to forum