• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MIDI controller

Share/Bookmark

MIDI controller

I'm interested in purchasing a MIDI controller for use with GPO. I know a lot of you here use them, so i figured you might be able to help me. I'm looking at getting an M-audio Oxygen 8 model. It looks great to me, but I've read mixed reviews from people who have used it. Does anyone here know about this model? Or can you suggest a different model that would be worth considering?

Thanks a lot.

Re: MIDI controller

mscmixer:

I have an Oxygen 8 that I use with my Mac and PC laptops. It has good mod-wheel action. Although I use an 88 keyboard controller to input most of my playing in the studio, I have used the Oxygen 8 in mobile instances. The only drawback I experience as a keyboard player is that I have to use the octave buttons frequently. But, for playing in parts, no problems whatsoever.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by mscmixer
    I'm interested in purchasing a MIDI controller for use with GPO. I know a lot of you here use them, so i figured you might be able to help me. I'm looking at getting an M-audio Oxygen 8 model. It looks great to me, but I've read mixed reviews from people who have used it. Does anyone here know about this model? Or can you suggest a different model that would be worth considering?

Thanks a lot.
    I'm using an M-Audio Prostation 88 which is an 88 key weighted keyboard with great feel and action.

I like to work with my laptop and be portable. I have been using the Edirol PCR-1 but have just ordered a PCR-M1. It has the ability to use both a sustain and expression pedal. It only has 25 keys and is quite thin, but as others have said, you may prefer a full sized keyboard.

Thanks for the input everyone. I actually do all my work on my notebook computer, so smaller is actually better for me. Which brings me to another question I forgot to ask. Most of these controllers are USB-compatible. Does this mean that they input MIDI info through a USB connection, or is the USB soley for power purposes?

Make sure that you get a MIDI controller with aftertouch if you plan on purchasing the JABB library in the future. You will need it to use the library to its fullest potential. Many of the cheaper models do not have aftertouch.

Do you need poly aftertouch, or is mono aftertouch okay?

-JF

To be honest, I don't exactly know what aftertouch is. What does it do?

Quote Originally Posted by mscmixer
    To be honest, I don't exactly know what aftertouch is. What does it do?
    Aftertouch sends a pressure related controller message after the key has already bottomed out.

In other words, you've struck the key, it is down against the bed. Now you push harder. This sends a signal which can be used like any other modulation source. Some folks use it to bring in vibrato for instance. If it's working well, the harder you push, the more effect it has.

For JABB, well, just have to wait and see what it can do!

Michael

OH, and channel aftertouch affects all the notes on that channel (surprise surprise) Polyphonic aftertouch simply means that the message is sent specifically for that note and only that note. The vast majority of KBDs with AT have channel. Poly is rather on the rare side.

Michael

Go Back to forum