• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recording into Cool Edit Pro

Share/Bookmark

Recording into Cool Edit Pro

I'm having one heck of a time trying to record from GPO to CEP. My soundcard (a Delta 1010LT) and CEP is set up properly because I can record from any other source. I can hit monitor in CEP and it looks like it is receiving the sound, but as soon as I hit record, I can no longer hear GPO. It's as if something gets overridden, and consequently it doesn't show on my soundcard monitor or record into CEP.

Any ideas?
    I'd be very greatful!

Irene

Re: Recording into Cool Edit Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ijackson
    I'm having one heck of a time trying to record from GPO to CEP. My soundcard (a Delta 1010LT) and CEP is set up properly because I can record from any other source. I can hit monitor in CEP and it looks like it is receiving the sound, but as soon as I hit record, I can no longer hear GPO. It's as if something gets overridden, and consequently it doesn't show on my soundcard monitor or record into CEP.

Any ideas?
    I'd be very greatful!

Irene
    I don't know your system, but you might try the method I suggested on the thread of a few hours ago, -- help, I can't record GPO with Sibelius.

Richard

You'll have to check your settings in CEP. When you setup CEP, you tell it where to get the wave information from (the Wave In/Record settings) and where to play it to (the Wave Out/Play) settings. On most soundcards, you will never be able to pipe wave information directly into CEP because the wave information is being sent to the outputs on the soundcard, and CEP has been set up to listen for wave information on the soundcard inputs. And, unfortunately enough, you can't pipe the output directly back to the input within the sound card.

Now, as luck would have it, I have a 1010LT on my multimedia PC and was able to confirm what I suspected. There is a special input called "Maudio 1010LT Mon. Mixer" that the folks at MAudio have thoughtfully included as part of their higher end soundcards. Basically, it taps into whatever is passing through the soundcard (input or output if memory serves) and makes it available as an input to external programs for recording purposes. So in CEP, if you change the Wave In/Record device to be "Maudio 1010LT Mon. Mixer," you should be able to record the output of the (I'm assuming) the standalone GPO player, GPO Studio, or any other program for that matter.
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Thanks Richard and E.

Richard, I did notice your post before I posted my question...and unfortunately it didn't help me, but thanks for responding!

E., I got pretty excited about your response, lol, but unfortunately, it didn't resolve the problem. Interestingly enough, I have, before, been able to record Garriton into the multitrack window of CEP, so I know it's possible. I just don't know what the heck I did to mess it up. I got a new version of Sonar 3 Producer (I'd been using the demo version, but you can't save files), and somehow, someway, that changed everything.

However, even without Sonar and just using GPO as a standalone now, I can't get it to record, which I was always able to do before.

Back to the drawing board
    Thanks again for your help...

Irene

Quote Originally Posted by ijackson
    Thanks Richard and E.

Richard, I did notice your post before I posted my question...and unfortunately it didn't help me, but thanks for responding!

E., I got pretty excited about your response, lol, but unfortunately, it didn't resolve the problem. Interestingly enough, I have, before, been able to record Garriton into the multitrack window of CEP, so I know it's possible. I just don't know what the heck I did to mess it up. I got a new version of Sonar 3 Producer (I'd been using the demo version, but you can't save files), and somehow, someway, that changed everything.

However, even without Sonar and just using GPO as a standalone now, I can't get it to record, which I was always able to do before.

Back to the drawing board
    Thanks again for your help...

Irene
    Shot in the dark-- Would it be possible to use Sonar to create your wav and then import to your Cool Edit? Using Sonar, you can export to audio without real time play, and it works well, and I expect most pops,clicks, etc, which are generated during playback will not be present in the wav file because there is no playback during the process.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Shot in the dark-- Would it be possible to use Sonar to create your wav and then import to your Cool Edit? Using Sonar, you can export to audio without real time play, and it works well, and I expect most pops,clicks, etc, which are generated during playback will not be present in the wav file because there is no playback during the process.

Richard
    That's EXACTLY what occurred to me that I should try...I'll do it and report back!

Irene

I use Sonar to do exactly that. But, since I don't like things not working any more than you probably do...

In the MAudio mixer application, you may have to set the Out1 and 2 to be "Monitor Mixer" rather than the default setting. Also, make sure that the GPO player is outputting on channels 1 and 2.

This should work - I used to do this all the time with my MAudio Audiophile 24/96 card.
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

You are both brilliant :-) Both methods worked...thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

All the best,
    Irene

Go Back to forum