• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: how many wind controller players out there

Share/Bookmark

how many wind controller players out there

I play a yamaha wx11 mostly with the vl70m with the patchmen chip, I constantly read articles about the wind controller being the best way to control samples but yet hardly any if any developers actually make patches for wind controllers. I just wonder how many people actually use one, maybe if we start making some noise we could get some results, Ive been impressed by how many developers read this forum and how eager they are to help but I wanted to know how many of us are actually using wind controllers

Re: how many wind controller players out there

EWI/VL1 over here.

I use a BC-3 often, but almost always have to program a sound to respond or map the controller to a new value in the input transformer of Cubase/Nuendo in order to get it to work. It has limited usefulness, but sometimes is the best thing for "natural" phrasing.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Smile Re: how many wind controller players out there

Akai EWI Here

Ussally plugged into the stock subtractive synth or my novation.
    Al J.
    Sonic Implants
    http://www.sonicimplants.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

WX-5 here. Love it. Great with Giga and Reaktor. But I'm about to be way too tempted by the Morrison Digital Trumpet. That thing is gorgeous.

It's really easy to edit sampler patches for wind control...just let CC2 modulate volume, and flatten out the velocity response curves. In Reaktor, you can build whatever breath control functions you want, which is really fun to do.

I'm using the Breath Controller of the DX7. A primitive wind controller for sure, but still it offers expressivity and produces effects which are difficult and timecostly to achieve in other ways. It's difficult to learn at first, perhaps because I'm not really a wind player. It's not available on most today's synths but it's cheap

If you're not familiar with it; It's just a mouthpiece - not unlike that of a saxophone, but without reed - which registers air pressure when you blow (or vacuum when sucking in). You need to depress a key on the keyboard to generate anything out of the MIDI-port, but once a key is depressed (although no sound is heard unless you blow) the breath controller basically takes on the role of a volume control, or you can set it to modulate pretty much any parameter used in the standard MIDI CC List or within the synt filters list.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Bruce, have you ever compared a wx11 to a wx5, Ive never got to play a 5 and wonder if there is enough difference to spend the money for the difference

WX5 = happy
    You know what I blame this on the downfall of? Society.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff4h
    Bruce, have you ever compared a wx11 to a wx5, Ive never got to play a 5 and wonder if there is enough difference to spend the money for the difference
    I've never played an 11. I like the 5 a great deal, it has a nice feel, and I like the responsiveness of it. I also got it at the time they were doing the cool limited-edition pearl finishes, so I got the blue pearl. I have really enjoyed it. I wish I were more facile on it...the one thing that is difficult is overcoming my natural tendency to start using trumpet fingerings in my right hand.

Can anyone tell me the diff. between the WX5 and 11 ? Can you still get the WX11 ? I`m asking cause I`d like to get back into playing horn , even if its cyber -horn Rich

Go Back to forum