• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question on Finale/Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Question on Finale/Sonar

Hey, to all who use Finale (whether 2005/2006, doesn't matter) and Sonar 4 Producer:

I just saved a Finale file as Midi, then imported it into Sonar. But I notice that some LONG held notes in some parts (like strings) hold much longer than they should... it's like they're on a sustain pedal. When I look at staff view or piano roll view, they show as normal notes. Any tips? I can't tell whether there's something I did initially wrong inputting into Finale, or whether it's a SOnar problem (as I seem to recall, Sonar does occasionally "hang" onto notes...)

THanks!
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Re: Question on Finale/Sonar

I believe Sonar has a bug that can cause this kind of problem if you use GPO as DXi. Instead use it as VSTi. Also set GPO Player | Options | "Sustain/sostenuto pedal mode" to (Normal+) MIDI Switch.

I get the same thing sometimes when I export MIDI files from Sibelius and open them in Sonar. There will be a note or notes that triggers on and sometimes holds on for the remainder of the piece - or sometimes random clusters of notes as well. I'm thinking maybe this has something to do with the way these programs export midi files (especially if they have been run through Human Playback or Espressivo in Finale and Sibelius respectively).

Try turning off human playback before exporting and see if you still have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stmain
    Hey, to all who use Finale (whether 2005/2006, doesn't matter) and Sonar 4 Producer:

I just saved a Finale file as Midi, then imported it into Sonar. But I notice that some LONG held notes in some parts (like strings) hold much longer than they should... it's like they're on a sustain pedal. When I look at staff view or piano roll view, they show as normal notes. Any tips? I can't tell whether there's something I did initially wrong inputting into Finale, or whether it's a SOnar problem (as I seem to recall, Sonar does occasionally "hang" onto notes...)

THanks!
    Most definitely, as stated, there is a DXi bug regarding tempo change on a tied note. But seems like it couldn't hurt to look at the event list. Might (or might not) show something useful.

Richard

Looks like someone's having the same problem I had....I still can't get my midi file I created in Sibelius, and using in Cakewalk [I've got Home Studio 2004] to "unstop" the notes that get stuck, when there is a tempo change. Of course, you can stop the playback and hit one of the buttons on the transport bar, and then start playing again, but when you export it as an audio file, all of the stuck notes are still in there when you play back the audio file. The other solution mentioned on the GPO troubleshooting page is to go to the piano roll, and then put in little short notes directly after the sticking note. I then went to the events list, and clicked on the note information on the events list, and using the info on the far right column [this may not be the same in your sequencer], click on it and turn the number right down to zero, and this should give the extra added note no sound.
    This did work, but then what happenned was another instrument that did not have a hanging note, decided they would make up for the one that had just stopped, and you'd fix that one up, and then another one started sticking from the same section where the tempo change was. If you've only got one or two instruments playing, fine, but with a whole orchestra, it was getting a little timeconsuming to try and find which was the next instrument that was deciding to hang on to the notes.

Ok, here's the way out I've finally discovered. Don't play GPO as a Dxi, [you can do the vst way - but I can't because I had to remove some files that were preventing me from adding events in the controller pane, so I cannot now use GPO as VST]. Instead you set up your instruments in GPO studio, go to Options/midi devices, and select GPO studio as your output, and make sure the latency is Ok...now I'm still experimenting here - I went to Options/ Audio/Audio Options, and then on the Audio Options change the mixing latency a bit to the right, or more ---only if the playback is giving crackles etc. You then go to the track info and make sure each instrument is routed into the correct GPO studio [1,2 etc], and the correct slot in each player.
    I then checked it by playing it back, I was so relieved--not one stuck note!!!
    You can then record the playback, so you just have to follow the directions in your manual for that.
    One thing I noticed this way, is that you can use the reverb ambience in the GPO studio as the sounds are coming out of that anyway. I tend to like the Ballroom 1, as it's not too "echoey" [is that a new term??], and I turn the cpu down to 40%, and it gets a nice warm, clean reverb. I'm sure you've got your favourites you've tried yourself.
    I'm just learning how to do some of this stuff, I'm still having a few problems with crackling in a few places where I have orchestral tuttis, so I still have some adjustments to do with my soundcard still, so I hope this is helpful to get you started to fix the problem.
    This is not a complicated solution, but it worked for me. Again, I'm still need to do some things to stop some of the crackling, but that's something I'm starting to find a solution to - you may not have that problem at all.
    I've contacted Cakewalk support to see about how exactly to fix this stuck note problem over the tempo changes, when using GPO as Dxi. When I hear back from them I'll post any information that could be helpful here.
    Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Steve, I'm learning so much!

Another question: I've imported a midi file into Sonar 4, and I'm using GPO in VST setting. I've noticed that the volume settings I have on the GPO player (not mod wheel but volume, on the far right of the Kontakt Player), don't stay where I leave them, but have a tendency to "snap back" to a given volume (usually louder than I want) after playback begins... what gives? How can I make the volume settings stay the way I want them? Even saving as a "preset" doesn't seem to help.

THanks!
    Steve Main
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Hi Tom, I did that, and it's already checked. But when I tried to get my French Horn to play, the volume I'd set still "snapped" to a higher setting that I don't want!

Any and all help appreciated on this... how can I get Sonar to leave GPO (as VST) volume settings the way I want 'em?

Thanks!
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Quote Originally Posted by stmain
    Hi Tom, I did that, and it's already checked. But when I tried to get my French Horn to play, the volume I'd set still "snapped" to a higher setting that I don't want!

Any and all help appreciated on this... how can I get Sonar to leave GPO (as VST) volume settings the way I want 'em?

Thanks!
    Well, if you are using X-Custom instsruments, the solution is in the slider bar adjustment, which currently has a problem, and works in reverse.

Richard

Make sure "use std. CC#7/CC#10 volume and pan" in the players options is unchecked (it is checked by default in the latest update of GPO). If it is checked, the volume knob is linked to the corresponding Sonar/Home Studio tracks volume setting. There should be a track volume control, that does exactly the same as the volume knob. Unless you have Volume MIDI data recorded in the track. This might then take precedence - it does so in Cubasis.

Quote Originally Posted by steve martin
    I've contacted Cakewalk support to see about how exactly to fix this stuck note problem over the tempo changes, when using GPO as Dxi. When I hear back from them I'll post any information that could be helpful here.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    I've contacted Cakewalk about this myself, and they say it's a Kontakt issue...I think. It's either the Kontakt player or GPO, and I don't think someone like Tom Hopkins would leave such a bug in GPO, so I suspect it's just a Kontakt bug.

An observation on the issue: Having a tiny note at the end of the stuck notes only works for me when the tempo change is not during any playing notes. If the tempo change is during a playing note, nothing that I know of works.

-Chris

Go Back to forum