• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which amplifier?

Share/Bookmark

Which amplifier?

I am wondering what kind of amplifier is best to use with GigaStudio. This kind of information seems very hard to find. Do I need a special amplifier for my studio? Should I just buy a decent audio amplifier like Denon, Nakamishi, Harman Kardon with decent speakers?

I also need to plug my Roland RD-700 digital piano in the same amplifier.

So any suggestions? Or any places where I can find advice on that subject?

Re: Which amplifier?

Hi Radu,

I\'m not sure an amp is what you really need. Then you mentioned that you wanted to hear your piano through it as well. Well that complicates things.

Here\'s why. Stereo amps and/or powered speakers are designed to work with a single stereo sound source at a time. The moment you choose to mix the sounds from more than one source you need a mixer. One advantage of a mixer is that computer/sound card latency issues disappear. Mixers can be had inexpensively or very expensively depending on what you need. If all you want is to hear your computer and piano at the same time you may be able to do this within your computer (depending on hardware and software).

As for amps, I prefer powered speakers. You avoid the issues inherent in passive crossovers. There are any number of good powered speakers, Mackie, Genelec, Dynaudio, Tannoy are a few and I know I\'m missing some (like KRK). What you need to do is borrow them from the store if possible to try them in your listening environment.

Avoid home stereo equipment. It\'s designed to make everything sound good as opposed to revealing the flaws in the source material. You want to be able to hear the flaws so you can fix them before you release it.

Good luck.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your answer; it clarifies things in my mind. I was going to buy a home stereo amplifier tomorrow, but I am going to wait to see what I really need. Maybe I\'ll ask the guys at the music store what would be the best configuration for my system.

If I only record in a sequencer in the computer, I don\'t need the external mixer right? Because I don\'t use the digital piano and Giga at the same time. These are two separate tasks.

For powered speakers, don\'t you need an amp first? Or does it depends on your audio card?

I would be curious to know what kind of environment you work with? Anyone else?

I use the Mackie HR824 monitors and am very happy with those. They are powered speakers, which mean they each come with a built-in amplifier. There are several good things about this. Most important is that these will always sound the same, they dont depend on which amplifier you attach to it, so when you learn to know how they sound, you don\'t need to have any more worries about it. Another thing is, well, that you dont need an amplifier... Generally, these kinds of \'studio monitors\' have higher resolution and greater clarity than your average hi-fi speakers.

Simon Ravin
    I am in the market for some new monitors myself. The reviews on the Mackie 824 are excellent. I am having the problem of my mixes not sounding the same after burning to cd as they did prior to burning especially in the bottom end. I am to the point where I really have to turn the bass drum and bass guitar down to the point of barely being able to hear them in my mix in order to get
    the mix to translate right after burning to CD. I am convinced that the culprit is my low end Tannoy SBM monitors which just don\'t have adequate bass response.
    What has been your experience with the Mackies. Is it what you hear is what you get when you burn to CD or is my dillema a common problem that everyone is experiencing requiring the person mixing to know his monitors and adjust accordingly?
    Peace.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ellle:
    Keyboard Magazine has an review of 20 active monitors. Genelec 1030 wins.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which Keyboard Magazine issue includes this review? I do not see the review in the October 2001 edition on their web site... I think that kind of review would be great for what I look for...

[This message has been edited by Radu Lupu (edited 10-16-2001).]

Keyboard Magazine has an review of 20 active monitors. Genelec 1030 wins.

Nazaru. Of course what you hear is what you burn on the CD. However your mix will always sound different from setup to setup. That\'s why you should always try and listen to your mix on other systems than the one you\'re using to mix on, and that way learn how to mix your music on your system so that it sounds good on other systems as well.

I have Tannoy passive monitors and experience the same problem. I\'m looking at powered bi-amped 8-inch monitors and will check the Keyboard article.

Anybody using Event bi-amped monitors?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NAZARU:
    Simon Ravin
    I am in the market for some new monitors myself. The reviews on the Mackie 824 are excellent. I am having the problem of my mixes not sounding the same after burning to cd as they did prior to burning especially in the bottom end. I am to the point where I really have to turn the bass drum and bass guitar down to the point of barely being able to hear them in my mix in order to get
    the mix to translate right after burning to CD. I am convinced that the culprit is my low end Tannoy SBM monitors which just don\'t have adequate bass response.
    What has been your experience with the Mackies. Is it what you hear is what you get when you burn to CD or is my dillema a common problem that everyone is experiencing requiring the person mixing to know his monitors and adjust accordingly?
    Peace.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I finally bought the Mackie HR824.

For those who need more information, check the new www.prorec.com article on this subject. They reviewed ten near-field monitors.

Go Back to forum