• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kirk Hunter Solo Strings and Kontakt 2: How to make the best of it?

Share/Bookmark

Kirk Hunter Solo Strings and Kontakt 2: How to make the best of it?

I own KH SoloStrings for quite a while and used it together with Halion. I recently switched completely to Kontakt 2 and wanted to ask if there is a way to make use of K2īs capabilities (such as scripting) to make the library even more expressive (as the samples itsself are first class). Is there a K2 announced? I didnīt find anything on Kirk Hunterīs website?
    Thanks for any info
    Raindog

Re: Kirk Hunter Solo Strings and Kontakt 2: How to make the best of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog
    I own KH SoloStrings for quite a while and used it together with Halion. I recently switched completely to Kontakt 2 and wanted to ask if there is a way to make use of K2īs capabilities (such as scripting) to make the library even more expressive (as the samples itsself are first class). Is there a K2 announced? I didnīt find anything on Kirk Hunterīs website?
    Thanks for any info
    Raindog
    Anyone out there who could help me?
    Thanks a lot
    Raindog

Hi Raindog,
    I'd be very surprised if a K2 version of KH solo strings was released, just because of its age. (Still one of my favourites though). Sorry I can't help as I don't use K2.
    Cheers, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim rosvall
    Hi Raindog,
    I'd be very surprised if a K2 version of KH solo strings was released, just because of its age. (Still one of my favourites though). Sorry I can't help as I don't use K2.
    Cheers, Tim

You may be right but as you said itīs still a very good library and could be even better with some editing (without altering the samples). I donīt speak about a FREE update as reprogramming needs time and time is money. So there could be some interest for KH.....

Raindog,

Peter A. mentioned a Kontakt 1 version of the solo strings awhile ago, maybe six months now (on the Kirk Hunter.com forums). But due to all the work they are doing with the Concert Brass and Woodwinds, I'm sure this is a bottom of the list, back-burner task right now. Seems like when they do get to it a Kontakt 2 version would make the most sense as most have upgraded by now that I know.

It is a wonderful library, super expressive and the recording is top notch, still isn't showing its age, one of my personal favs and I would like to see it in the Kontakt format as much as anyone.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Maybe thereīs someone out there who has already done the adaption to K2 and would be willing to share his/her nki-files. I would be happy to spend some German Riesling

Raindog,

Oooh I love Reisling!.... KH Solo Strings imports nicely into Kontakt 2 without much problem so I don't know what the fuss is. Even the cross modulation imports nicely (using Kontakt 2 to import).

Give it a try. Select the GIGA file on the left side, select Import (at top), choose a directory....and voila...enjoy playing.

You might need to make some minor tweaks such as reseting the MIDI channel, raise the volume up. And some patches require you to move the mod wheel before you'll hear any sound.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy543
    Raindog,

Oooh I love Reisling!.... KH Solo Strings imports nicely into Kontakt 2 without much problem so I don't know what the fuss is. Even the cross modulation imports nicely (using Kontakt 2 to import).

Give it a try. Select the GIGA file on the left side, select Import (at top), choose a directory....and voila...enjoy playing.

You might need to make some minor tweaks such as reseting the MIDI channel, raise the volume up. And some patches require you to move the mod wheel before you'll hear any sound.
    Just for the records: Itīs RIESLING not REISLING (all foreigners spell this wrong)

Thanks for the encouraging info. I thought about using cdxtract, but if you say so Kontaktīs own import function may work best. With previous versions cross modulation didnīt import properly. Do you know, if keytriggers work well?
    Thanks for your help
    Raindog

Just for the records: Itīs RIESLING not REISLING (all foreigners spell this wrong)
    Did somebody wine? Ah, you German's are perfect

Thanks for the encouraging info. I thought about using cdxtract, but if you say so Kontaktīs own import function may work best. With previous versions cross modulation didnīt import properly. Do you know, if keytriggers work well?
    Thanks for your help
    Raindog
    Kontakt2 works better than cdxtract "from what I've heard". K2 retains the crossmod patches and keytriggers. The one odd thing Kontakt 2 does though is create many folders for the samples - I guess you could combine them.

I do have a problem with some programs in that two notes get triggered (but only at certain velocities) creating this very boxy nasal phasy sound. This particularly happens with the KHSoloVlaK=Spcc_Det_HardSus_Esp and only with certain notes (D3 is one). It seems that extra groups are created and deleting these resolves this issue. In other cases, there are some missing groups but the general structure is clear enough you could easily fix these if you want to spend the time.

Or you can just use the individual programs where this isn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy543
    Did somebody wine? Ah, you German's are perfect

Kontakt2 works better than cdxtract "from what I've heard". K2 retains the crossmod patches and keytriggers. The one odd thing Kontakt 2 does though is create many folders for the samples - I guess you could combine them.

I do have a problem with some programs in that two notes get triggered (but only at certain velocities) creating this very boxy nasal phasy sound. This particularly happens with the KHSoloVlaK=Spcc_Det_HardSus_Esp and only with certain notes (D3 is one). It seems that extra groups are created and deleting these resolves this issue. In other cases, there are some missing groups but the general structure is clear enough you could easily fix these if you want to spend the time.

Or you can just use the individual programs where this isn't a problem.
    Thanks very much for your excellent explanation. Iīll give it a try over the weekend.
    Best regards
    Wolfgang Fogel

PS: Itīs not that we Germans are perfect (which in fact we are ) itīs just that Reisling sounds funny as RIESLING is actually pronounced like REESLING.
    -end of teaching mode -

Go Back to forum