• Register
  • Help

Topic: Articles and columns

Articles and columns

[ I wanted to talk this over with Papa Chalk first to make sure it was cool to mention this here, and of course he's as great about things that help Gary as always. ]

I'm continually brainstorming and trying to come up with things that help to get you guys noticed in the world. My latest idea is to add a section to the Composer Channel site for articles and columns from those of you who have something to share. If done properly, it will not only give people another reason to visit and therefore be introduced to your music, but will also give me another way to give you exposure, help promote whatever CDs or musical services you offer, etc.

I'm thinking of a few different categories. First, there's the obvious angle of articles for musicians, such as, recording tips and tricks, cool things you can do with GPO, novel ideas on how to use the various software / hardware tools, articles that help with or inspire the creative process, and so forth. A lot of folks around here have written great tutorials and such, so I see no need to duplicate that effort. There's enough things to say that there should be plenty of fresh ideas available. Since the idea of the station is to promote the GPO community, I don't see adding articles about competing sample libs, but beyond that it doesn't have to focus on GPO. In fact, I'm thinking articles that would be of value to most anyone would bring in more readers, and in the process introduce more people to Gary's products (GPO, JABB, etc.).

Another perspective is articles that listeners who aren't musicians would enjoy. People love "Behind the Music" kinds of things where they get to peek behind the curtains and share a little in the artists' creative process. Descriptions of things like MIDI tweaks and compressor settings would interest musicians and be good in that section, but the eyes of listeners would of course glaze over. I'm thinking more along the lines of personal insights, the stories that inspired your songs, a day in the life of a creative creature, etc. It would be a great way to show people another side of you and give them yet another way in which they can relate to your creative endeavors.

Of course, you should make sure that all articles have the standard "author bio paragraph" to include at the end. This is not your Composer Profile, but a few sentences such as you typically see in magazines, "John Smith is a Nerf Herder living in Kansas who also composes Wookie folk songs in his project studio. Be sure to visit his web site, www.WookieFolkSongs.com, for more information and to purchase his latest CD, Nerf Herding Wookies." You get the idea - the bio paragraph gives us a way to point readers to your web site and promote whatever musical products you might have to sell.

You don't have to be Dean Koontz, but you'll need to be at least a reasonably proficient writer as I don't want to edit this stuff myself.

So, that's my current brainstorm. Whaddya think? Any of you guys have something to say, to musicians, your listeners, or both? As always, I want to put up a trial balloon and see if this project is worth the effort (i.e. would generate enough interest among you) before investing my time in making it happen, so let me know what you think!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer

Re: Articles and columns

Wow. So no one here has any desire to write articles or columns? Surprising.

Okay, scratch that idea.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer

San Francisco Bay Area

$$$$$$$$ <=== heh

I might be able to come up with something... I have a few misc. ideas floating around in my head.

Let me know if you go ahead with this.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I could concievably write some things, but they might be rather boring to anyone else I'm afraid.

I'd be up for writing something. Are you thinking about articles specifically related to songs in the composer channel list, or more like a blog, where it's kind of a stream of consciousness or rant or technical explanation of the day?

Go Back to forum