• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ultimate AMD based Giga setup?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Ultimate AMD based Giga setup?

Ken,

Have you checked out the Roll-Your-Own by Pete Leoni at www.prorec.com

I have not tried it but seems a trusted source.
    They\'re using Iwill mobo with an Athlon T-Bird.

Check it out...might be for you.
    Good luck.

Ultimate AMD based Giga setup?

Current 400MHz system is taking a real beating lately. I will soon build a new computer that is capable of easily cruising with Sonar 1.3, Cool Edit Pro, a few plugin effects and, most importantly, Gigastudio 96. I want zero cracks and pops, no dropouts, handle 32 tracks of audio while using 16 tracks with Gigastudio, assuming using effects on a few tracks here and there.

I prefer to build it up on the Athlon 200/266 1.0-1.4 GHz chip, 512Mb DDR ram, Win98SE.

First question, does the FSB difference make a difference? Second, what motherboard (IWill, Asus, Gigabyte, etc.) and with what chipset make for a rock solid setup?

Third, what video card behaves the best?

Fourth, assuming I am not an effects freak and probably will just put a little reverb and chorusing on here and there, is 512Mb more than enough? Also, with Win98SE, I heard there are problems with going over 512Mb ram, is this true?

I hear nothing bad about the IBM GXP60 harddrives, any complaints from this group? I will probably get 2 40Gb drives and make 4 partitions. Partition 1 for OS and apps and files and 2 for .gigs. 2nd Drive: partition 3 for audio, partition 4 for storage and backup.

Due to budget constraints and the fact that I am not a Pro, just a hobbyist, I am leaning toward the M Audio Audiophile 2496 as the soundcard and midi input.

So, I think Gigastudio is the most taxing program for this new setup, does anyone see any conflicts or have any valuable experience that will help me choose the right component mix?

TIA,

Ken

P.S. I don\'t need to hear the P4 vs. Athlon discussion here. I read it all before and I am tuned into the pros and cons of each system.

Check out Roll-Your-Own by Pete Leoni
    www.prorec.com

he\'s rollin\' an Iwill mobo and Athlon T-bird. Sounds like it\'s up your alley.

Good luck!!

Sorry for the double post. Wasn\'t sure the first one made it.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-22-2001).]

First question, does the FSB difference make a difference? Second, what motherboard (IWill, Asus, Gigabyte, etc.) and with what chipset make for a rock solid setup?
    ---------------------------------------------

You\'re going to get a lot of responses to this, and there are going to be opinions as to what works, and what doesn\'t. As for FSB, since 200 and 266 are running the same price these days, go with the 266. You will see a difference. I\'m running the Tyan S2390B mainboard, with the Via KT-133A chipset right now, and it runs flawlessly. I\'ve got an Athlon 1.4ghz 266fsb, and 1 GB of RAM. Changing the VCACHE settings alleviate any problems with running more than 512mb. With 512mb or less, I didn\'t have to change anything.

Third, what video card behaves the best?

Video card shouldn\'t make a difference in your setup, use whatever card you want. Pick a card that will perform all the functions that you need it to. I\'m using an ATI Radeon VE Dual Display card, as I plan on using 2 monitors. (One for GSEdit, one for GS? )

Fourth, assuming I am not an effects freak and probably will just put a little reverb and chorusing on here and there, is 512Mb more than enough? Also, with Win98SE, I heard there are problems with going over 512Mb ram, is this true?

512MB should suit you fine, I was able to load up tons of gigs and still only use 40% of memory. I work for a computer store, so I upped to 1gb because I get parts for cost. Now I see usage hovering around 25%. As stated above, I only had to change my VCACHE settings when I went from 512MB to 1GB.

I hear nothing bad about the IBM GXP60 harddrives, any complaints from this group? I will probably get 2 40Gb drives and make 4 partitions. Partition 1 for OS and apps and files and 2 for .gigs. 2nd Drive: partition 3 for audio, partition 4 for storage and backup.

Seagate has the highest MTBF, and their 7200 rpm drives aren\'t too noisy. As for setting up Partitions.. GIG files benefit more from being on a different drive, not a different partition on the same drive as your boot drive. If I were to set up the partitions the way you\'re talking, I\'d set them up as Boot/Storage , and GIGs/Audio. (Assuming audio means recorded WAV files and the like?) Also, consider a RAID system for speed and performance. I just set up 4 40gb drives in a RAID 0+1 setup in my other computer. (For video editing.) (2 Seagate, 2 IBM) It sees them as 1 80GB drive, it has 33% better throughput than a single drive, and it\'s a safe backup. (Granted, I\'m giving up 80 gig\'s of storage for that, but after having 2 40gb drives fail in the past 6 months, (one Maxtor, and one Western Digital) better safe than sorry.

Due to budget constraints and the fact that I am not a Pro, just a hobbyist, I am leaning toward the M Audio Audiophile 2496 as the soundcard and midi input.

Are you planning on outputting the sound to a mixer, or making WAV files and recording the CD\'s directly on the same computer? I\'ve got an Echo Layla in my other computer, but my Giga computer just has a Creative SB Audigy. It suits my needs just fine.

Go Back to forum