• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Running OSX on a PC?

Share/Bookmark

Running OSX on a PC?

"Imagine if your next Mac cost you only $300, and ran faster than any G4 or G5 you've ever used." This is what Wired News is reporting.

"Hackers have found a way to bypass a chip designed to prevent the Mac OS from running on non-Apple PCs, which are often cheaper than Macs."

Here's a link to the OSX86 project which provides information on how to install OSX on an Intel PC: http://osx86project.org/index.php?op...id=19&Itemid=2

According to the report "Some of the hackers are running the tweaked version of the operating system on their PCs natively. Others are using the system with VMware, which allows the Mac OS to support more PC hardware...Now the hacked version of OSx86 is running on Dell laptops and other PCs with Intel and AMD microprocessors."

Re: Running OSX on a PC?

Why not just get Linux? It's not a hack and its way cooler than OSX, and it doesn't require an ounce of MSware on your compy.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Why not just get Linux? It's not a hack and its way cooler than OSX, and it doesn't require an ounce of MSware on your compy.
    I'd set my parents up with a Mac OS on their Intel boxen if I could; it'd undoubtedly cut down on the "unpaid technical support" calls. I love Linux, but I can only imagine the nightmare that would result if I put it on their machines instead of Windows...

Linux, for all its coolness, is not kind to neophytes.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Oooo, something else I can mess up!
    Styxx

LMAO! The only reason OSX is as stable as it is, and it's not that much better than WinXP, is because Apple has TOTAL control over the pieces that go into a Mac. Put OSX on different spec'd intel machines isn't going to be anywhere near as stable as it will on a Mac because of that. The different specs on PC's is the main reason there is whatever instability that still exists with WinXP.

OSX isn't going to do diddly for more stability on PC's!!!!!

I think that's a hilarious joke!!!!!

Tom

The OSx86 Project has reported that Apple has served legal notice to MacBidouille, a French news site that posted videos and instructions on running OS X on x86 hardware. There's an English translation of the notice on the OSx86Project forum.

Alan, how is Linux cooler than OS X?

I've never tried it - just axin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf

Linux is represented by a penguin. Penguins live in Antartica and it doesn't get cooler than that!

GPO is currently running under Linux in the Receptor box. And there is the Linux Sampler project. Linux is cool, but it's a flavor that's not for everyone.

I could imagine that Apple knew full well that hackers would get their grubby little hands on the PC version of OSX that has been seeded to developers and possibly with Apple's help. So all these PC cheap buggers now are grooving on the Mac OS. Now it's time to load up on Mac apps and utilities. Life is great. But then Apple and Intel come up with a chip-OS set that can never be hacked. Now if you want the latest and greatest your gonna pay for it. You can't go back to that diseased, ugly old cow interface. Time to pony up for a real Mac and as the cashier at the Apple store is swiping your credit card and your feeling about two pints of blood lighter you remember the 2005 Mac WWDC hug-ya-bunches scene and with a grimace you say " your welcome" to the Apple Store cashier and stagger home.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf

It's cooler cause I can figure it all out without asking. It opens my old PC files flawlessly and it never crashes (more of an XP reference there). I've been looking closely at Windows Vista, but it looks like more of the same from MS. I will be advocating to as many as I can for the switch to Mandrake/Mandriva Linux.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum