• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Longest Its Taken to Be Paid?

Share/Bookmark

The Longest Its Taken to Be Paid?

OK, OK, OK.

A lot of lamentation over day jobs on the Cubicle City Threads.

But hey, all you semi-pros... Lets take a look at one of the chief reason we stick with the steady check.

What is the longest its taken a client to pay you for music you've written and produced? ASCAP & BMI not included. (Those are for another discussion, but hey kids, make sure the cue sheets show your name exactly as its registered!!!)

Suddenly the plight of every contractor, wether plumbing pipes or plumbing tunes, comes into play. You can't have a business without a mass of capitol to get you through the dry spells. Especially when you nearly have to personally give your client the hiemlich maneuver to cough up the cash. So I think the question really is, who's brave enough and has enough capitol to start their own business?

For me it took over six months to be paid from a network TV show. I'd like to mention names, but its bad MOJO to do that. Anyway, I never pursued another job from them. I'm sure they were happy with the job also, because I'd convinced them that the work I'd done was worth more than the original negotiation and they agreed without a fuss, almost doubling the quote. Just took forever to get the cash.

I've had a better experience with another show there recently, but still, can't make a living when they pull this.

Makes you start thinking hey, I really like my day job!

Erik

Re: The Longest Its Taken to Be Paid?

Quote Originally Posted by dynamix
    OK, OK, OK.

A lot of lamentation over day jobs on the Cubicle City Threads.

But hey, all you semi-pros... Lets take a look at one of the chief reason we stick with the steady check.

What is the longest its taken a client to pay you for music you've written and produced? ASCAP & BMI not included. (Those are for another discussion, but hey kids, make sure the cue sheets show your name exactly as its registered!!!)

Suddenly the plight of every contractor, wether plumbing pipes or plumbing tunes, comes into play. You can't have a business without a mass of capitol to get you through the dry spells. Especially when you nearly have to personally give your client the hiemlich maneuver to cough up the cash. So I think the question really is, who's brave enough and has enough capitol to start their own business?

For me it took over six months to be paid from a network TV show. I'd like to mention names, but its bad MOJO to do that. Anyway, I never pursued another job from them. I'm sure they were happy with the job also, because I'd convinced them that the work I'd done was worth more than the original negotiation and they agreed without a fuss, almost doubling the quote. Just took forever to get the cash.

I've had a better experience with another show there recently, but still, can't make a living when they pull this.

Makes you start thinking hey, I really like my day job!

Erik

Well, I have had plenty of trouble with collecting for piano service. The enthusiasm for the project frequently dropped when the job was done and it was time to pay. It was not unusual for me to find that the only effective tactic was to mention the mechanic's lien provision of state law. That was only for major overhaul work. For routine servicing and tuning, the biggest collection problem was from churches. Synagogues paid promptly and without complaint. When performing, I had not any problem receiving payment.

Richard

Go Back to forum