• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need advice on purchasing Colossus (EastWest)

Need advice on purchasing Colossus (EastWest)

Hey all, I currently run the following:

Finale 2k6
    GPO (lovin' it)
    GigaStudio 3.0 orchestral
    Sonar 4.0 Producer

On a large, fairly new Pentium 4 with 3.25 (yup!) RAM. So I'm lucky for all that.

Now what I want to do is add some other instruments, including synths, drumsets, guitars, and choirs (not as fancy as EWQL Symph. Choirs, which is still too complex/buggy, I think, but perhaps some good ooh/ahh packages where I could get flexible (vib./nonvib.) tone, SATB setup, and perhaps a syllable to tweak occasionally.

It seems that EastWest Colossus would fit that bill for all the above. But it's hella expensive. Any other packages I oughta look at?

Thanks for the advice!

Steve Main

New York, NY

Re: Need advice on purchasing Colossus (EastWest)

Well, for choirs you may want to check out angelic choirs at

and for synths and drums wusik

for real acoustic guitar

These all cost about $100, real guitar $150... Cheaper than Colossus... Although colossus is great, don't get me wrong, but $1000 at a pop is kinda rough... And if you have a General Midi Module, it'll take care of a lot of other sounds.... If not there are virtual ones, also in these price ranges...

Also, Reason is sort of a swiss army knife, having a lot of sounds available and being able to buy more for cheap, and they can be as realistic or as synthy as you want...

Anyway, hope this helps...

Go Back to forum