• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lullaby for Cello and Piano

Lullaby for Cello and Piano

Well, I'm back off to college next Saturday, so here's my final piece of the summer. I guess that makes three pieces . . . this, the Round Table, and a three movement string quartet that is so horrible I'm not going to post it At least not after some major work . . . anyway . . .

This is just a little lullaby I wrote to help get myself to sleep! I've been listening to Yo-Yo play those Bach Cello Suites, which are beautiful, and they made me want to write something for the cello. If I had thousands of dollars to spend on a string instrument, I think I'd buy a cello. However, I don't think I succeeded in making this lullaby sound as real as Yo-Yo's Bach's Suites, but it still helps me get to sleep.

As usual, two different file types of different size:
    192 kbps MP3 (7.2 MB): http://wizardwalk.com/music/Lullaby_..._and_Piano.mp3
    96 kbps WMA (3.7 MB): http://wizardwalk.com/music/Lullaby_..._and_Piano.wma

Sweet dreams!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Lullaby for Cello and Piano

Beautiful!!!! I love the piano accompanament. Nicely done. Humming the theme as i type.
    Chef Marco Teti
    (Fine Replicated swords)

very nice Sean,

You have a great gift for melody. I always enjoy your pieces. Loking forward to more posts.
    (The Nut )

Beautiful work sean. I really like it!!!
    The sound of the cello is simply wonderful!!!
    I am listening this piece just before to go to bed, and it is a perfect lullaby, I am sleeping. (just kidding)
    Congratulation Sean, great piece.

Best to you,

Wine Country, Colorado

Very enchanting piece. The cello part comes accross quite nice.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Very lovely!! What a gift for melody. It is nice to see one of the GPO celli used so prominently. Great piece! I love your use of the modwheel in creating realistic ebb and flow for the cello's phrasing. And that piano accompaniment - perfect!

But I was listening to it and was wondering to myself: "What sounds a little off here?" and I think I discovered it.

And this is more of a personal taste thing than anything!!!!

With the exception of the last little bit when you re-introduce the main accompaniment and theme again, you don't allow the cello to "breathe" with any rests. That might sound strange to allow a string inst. to breathe - but those rests (even if very very small) help that ebb and flow of your melody be THAT much more potent and life-like. Even string players sometimes have a tendency to have a slight silence as their bow moves in a new direction and they are introducing new thematic material. You say Yo-Yo Ma and the Bach Cello Suites were your inspiration. I LOVE that particular recording. If you listen to the slower movements, you will find Yo-Yo Ma taking little "breaths" here and there to really help the melody be more effective.

You have a treasure-trove of fantastic and well constructed melodic material here. As has been stated above, I too and humming the main theme while typing! The above is the only constructive criticism I could give. The musical content itself is FANTASTIC, and the overal production value is very high. I would just add little rests (and they can be even sixteenth rests!) every so often. Silence in music is just as important as the stuff you HEAR.

Anyway - that is my own taste and opinion. This piece is so well done I even had a hard time deciding to mention the rests issue at all.

Way to go, Sean! This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing this - I hope you DO share your String Quartet!!!

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Hi Sean,

Excellent work. Such a beautiful piece, my favorite parts are at about 1:28 and 3:04. Man, that cello sounds good!

I agree with the others, you really do have a gift for melody. Your music is so memorable.

Real nice piece--very melodic.

As you head back to school, remember this...

A cello is a wooden euphonium...same range (well, I can't slide all the way up the A string) for the most part. I have played the Faure Elegie as written, as well at Schumann's Five Pieces in Folk Style as written (or did I write them down a step?).

Melodic compositions by talented composers for euphonium always welcome (hint, hint, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, say no more, say no more???).

Have a good year!

Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thank you very much for listening and for all your kind comments!

Jerry, that is a great suggestion! I will definitely give it a try. Sometimes it's the small things like that that can add a great deal of realism. As I said in my first post, I didn't think I succeeded in making it as real as Yo-Yo's recording, and this may be one of the reasons. Thanks for mentioning it!

I will certainly play around with the euphonium when it comes out with GPOA. Although I might make the euphonium player pass out with very long sustained notes.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

San Jose, Ca, USA

Nice and Sweet Melody!

Go Back to forum