• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Home Studio Help Please

Share/Bookmark

Home Studio Help Please

I have been thinking about setting up a small home studio for some time and have decided to just stick with my PC.

I think all I need is:
    -An audio/midi interface
    -A keyboard midi controller
    -A sequencing program
    -GPO

Can anyone recommend any audio/midi interfaces or keyboard midi controllers?

As for the sequencer I have - correct me if I am wrong - come to the conclusion that Sonar is the way to go on the PC. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Studio and Producer editions or which is the better buy?
    I am wanting to get started in composing and sequencing and will not need incredibly high quality stuff yet, just what will do the job and is reliable.
    Thank you so much for the help.

Thumbs up Re: Home Studio Help Please

I think all I need is:
    -An audio/midi interface - MAudio has good choices
    -A keyboard midi controller - One with a modulation "Wheel" not Joystick.
    -A sequencing program - Sonar is nice, Cubase VST comes with GPO a good start
    -GPO - Naturally!
    Styxx

Re: Home Studio Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by phrygian
    I started out with a M-Audio USB Midiman 2x2 (not expensive) and now use the Midisport 4x4 (a little more). I use the M-Audio Keystation 88es and paid $299, but I think that the M-Audio 61 keys is less if you don't need 88 keys.

My first keyboard was a 61 key Yamaha V-50 workstation from a consignment shop that I only recently replaced with the 88 keys. It was a good workhorse!

Anyways, I'm not trying to plug M-Audio, but I have not had any problems with anything so far.

Best,
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

I have been thinking about setting up a small home studio for some time and have decided to just stick with my PC.

I think all I need is:
    -An audio/midi interface
    -A keyboard midi controller
    -A sequencing program
    -GPO

As for the sequencer I have - correct me if I am wrong - come to the conclusion that Sonar is the way to go on the PC. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Studio and Producer editions or which is the better buy?
    I am wanting to get started in composing and sequencing and will not need incredibly high quality stuff yet, just what will do the job and is reliable.
    Thank you so much for the help.
    Well, the only way to decide about producer or studio version of Sonar is to go to the cakewalk site and look at the features comparison chart. I have the Studio edition, and have not missed any of the added features in the Producer edition.

But, if you want to produce good quality printed scores, Sonar is not enough. You will need a good notation program, such as Sibelius or Finale. Joseph Burrell would recommend the soon to be released new Overture, but I have not seen or tried the new version, and have not been pleased with previous versions.

I expect you will soon get a diversity of opinions to help you decide -- or to confuse. Just look into as many things as you can before you buy.

Richard

GPO comes with Cubasis and Overture LE. That's nothing to sneeze at - I'd start there and add on as needed.

What's your computer? Is it up to snuff? You'll probably want to add a second hard drive for audio if you don't have one already. They're very cheap these days, so that's not a big deal.

As to controllers, are you a keyboard player? If not, can you get by with just a tiny 2-octave one for entry - such as the Alesis Photon X25 (which has a 2x2 audio interface built in) - or do you want one you can play? If the latter, unweighted (easier to control when you're playing in lines) or weighted (easier to control when you're playing keyboard parts)? Do you need 88 keys?

My computer is 1.8 GHz, has 512 megs of ram, and I have about 60 gigs of free hardrive space. Does any of this need to be upgraded?

I am not a keyboard player, I know the basics of playing but that's about it. What kind of controller would you reccomend?
    Thanks for all the help.

My computer is 1.8 GHz, has 512 megs of ram, and I have about 60 gigs of free hardrive space. Does any of this need to be upgraded?

I am not a keyboard player, I know the basics of playing but that's about it. What kind of controller would you reccomend?
    Thanks for all the help.

You'll want at least 1 GB of RAM.

Don't forget a pair of nice monitors. Crucial equipment!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Don't forget a pair of nice monitors. Crucial equipment!
    Absolutely!
    Styxx

GPO

Finale

Laptop w/ 2 gig ram

M-Audio O2 controller

a good pair of head phones

Backpack

THATS ALL YOU NEEED!!!

Go Back to forum