• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bob Moog Leaves Us

Orcas Island

Bob Moog Leaves Us

From the Moog Music site:

"ASHEVILLE, N.C. — August 21, 2005 — Bob died this afternoon at his home in Asheville, N.C. He was 71. Bob was diagnosed with brain cancer (glioblastoma multiforme or GBM) in late April 2005. He had received both radiation treatment and chemotherapy to help combat the disease. He is survived by his wife, Ileana, his five children, Laura Moog Lanier, Matthew Moog, Michelle Moog-Koussa, Renee Moog, and Miranda Richmond; and the mother of his children, Shirleigh Moog.

Bob was warm and outgoing. He enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. He especially appreciated what Ileana referred to as "the magical connection" between music-makers and their instruments.
    No public memorial is planned. Fans and friends can direct their sympathies or remembrances to www.caringbridge.com/visit/bobmoog.

Bob's family has established The Bob Moog Foundation dedicated to the Advancement of Electronic Music in his memory. Many of his longtime collaborators including musicians, engineers and educators have agreed to sit on its executive board including David Borden, Wendy Carlos, Joel Chadabpe, John Eaton, David Mash, and Rick Wakeman. For more information about the foundation, contact Matthew Moog at mattmoog@yahoo.com.

We'll miss you Bob."

Re: Bob Moog Leaves Us

What a tremendous loss!

I had the great priviledge of meeting Mr. Moog at an AES show many years ago. I was introduced to him by a mutual friend. He stood and talked to me for quite some time, and when I've run into him at subsequent events he has always greeted me as if we had known eachother forever. He didn't always remember my name, but he remembered how we met, and he would ask about what I up to (I'd ask the same of course<G>!)

I am very sad that I will not see him this fall at the NYC AES show.

Oh NO! The man who gave us the soul in electronics!
    This is terrible news (
    Yes, you will be sorely missed!

West Seneca, NY

Sad, such a great man and such great contributions to the music industry! He will be missed yet always remembered as one of the greatest modernizers in musical instruments of our time!

West Seneca, NY

AOL Entertainment News titles Bob Moog as the "Einstein of Music"! There is an awesome article and tribute to Mr. Moog on AOL. Anyone with access to AOL news should read.
    Mentioned in this article was his first shop, well, here you read;

"Moog, who had set up shop in suburban Buffalo, N.Y., sold R.A. Moog in 1973 and moved five years later to a remote plot outside Asheville, a scenic Appalachian Mountain city and center for new-age pursuits that Rolling Stone magazine once dubbed "America's new freak capital."

I have several friends who worked at Moog Music in this suburb of Buff, Tatonka, Buffalo and remember him well.

I first met Bob in 1990, as a student at UNC-Asheville. I took every class he offered, over the few years he was there. When he left UNCA, he started up Big Briar - or more specifically - took it from a one-man custom shop to a two-man small production shop, and I was the other person. I stuck around for several years - went from a "solder monkey" and floor sweeper to a full-on contributer - and oversaw the migration to Moog's current facility on River Road, and helped him to find some of the folks that are still with Moog Music today (hello, Steve Dunnington, we salute you!) I was there when Bob went through his divorce, and quite by accident introduced him to the person that would later become his second wife. I was with him on his return to the NAMM show scene in the mid-90s and got to attend their "former presidents dinner" where I met Tom Oberheim, Dave Smith, and others in teh biz at the time of the height of their successes - and heard a LOT of stories.

Unfortunately, it wasn't long after that I left the company, and Bob and I had not parted on the best of terms. After leaving, I made a few rather large mistakes that didn't help the situation, and I've been haunted by some of those decisions to this day. Now that Bob is gone, I'm left with both an overwhelming sense of gratitude and a bit of guilt - but the memories of those dark moments and self-inflicted wounds are paled by the immense contributions that Bob has made, and makes me glad that the world is voicing their gratitude to this man - and I simply wish to add to the chorus.

Last year, my father was diagnosed with cancer - and on Father's Day a few thoughts occured to me that I set to paper, and a few of the comments in that ditty were aimed at Bob and a few others that have been a great help to me along the way. I shared it with Matt Moog, and now I'd like to share it with you.

What constitutes a Statesman?

By Houston Haynes
    Written on Father’s Day – June 20, 2004

A statesman, above all, must first be a "man" – that is to say, a person – an individual who has an understanding of self. His industry stems from the desire to move further and do better things. He reaches to accomplish more – even when ghosts of previous failures beckon him to shrink from the challenge. He values family, both those that raised him, and those that passed long before he was born. He feels the weight of obligation upon him, whether in embracing or in thwarting their desires for his life. He seeks to build his own family and community, and provide fertile ground for others to grow and prosper in hopes, and perhaps in expectation that like minds will find him there. He recognizes the complexity of his ambitions, and seeks their expression while making the world a better place for those that tread every walk of life. He lends his support to the lowly and the leader alike, and is resigned to lead only when called to serve – recognizing the attainment of position not as an achievement in and of itself, but rather the establishment of higher obligation.

All of these things I have learned from my father, whom I consider to be a true statesman – unsung and unheralded, and yet indefatigable in his effort to better himself, his family, and his community. And I am fortunate that he has, in a manner unspoken, taught me to recognize and value his best features in other people. Teachers, mentors, family, friends – and sometimes complete strangers have sought in some fashion or other to lay the foundation on which I stand as an artist, a citizen, and a man. It is a debt that cannot be directly repaid, but rather made good by diligent effort to provide for others as has been provided – and is an obligation that I carry with a true sense of gratitude.

Inasmuch as the title of statesman can never be claimed or assigned, but rather bestowed by the judgment of history, I am resigned to simply mark my sense of it now – while my father is still here to know my thoughts and my desire to honor him – and shall leave it for others to ponder after we have returned to the earth.

Rest well Bob, we who knew you remember your laughter, wit, wisdom - and willingness to embrace a vision while sticking to the details. You were one of a kind, we're all glad to have known you in some way.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Talking Re: Bob Moog Leaves Us

I knew a guy who had a Moog back in 1970. He had aboslootly no talent and couldn't play it to save himself but he he was in demand from all the local bands. Wonder why?

Unhappy Re: Bob Moog Leaves Us

My hope is that he fully realized how much he changed the world and how much good he brought to it. May he rest in peace.

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

As I've said in several other threads (in this forum and others), truly sad. He gave us so much and will be missed.

Go Back to forum