• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Intelligence design ?

Intelligence design ?

sponsored links

I just saw the Larry King show today about this (very informative).

Is it serious ?

Are you really discussing this in your Senate ?

This is scary...

It just looks like a medieval controversy. Are USA turning into medieval times ?

Jesus, (if I might say...) you absolutely have to realize that such a discussion would just be totally impossible in Europe.

This is very worrying, cause now, I think there is not a ditch between Europe and US, but a canyon !

It’s very sad to see our two continents being more and more far away with time.

We’ll soon become real strangers, if it goes on !

And I don’t like it.

Re: Intelligence design ?

What about the couple of hundred million Americans who agree with you about Intelligent Design?

What's your take everyone? Should it be taught in schools?

BTW, did anyone catch Real Time with Bill Maher / New Rules about ID?
    Yikes! That was funny

Side note but an honest one - I am really sadden by the direction I feel my country is headed. I guess that is why I am here on OT land more and more.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Of course... IF it can stand up to the scientific method. The steps of which are (from http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/ph...AppendixE.html ):

1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.

2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena. In physics, the hypothesis often takes the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.

3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.

4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.

The problem is that I can't think of any good tests to prove or disprove it. If it cannot be subjected to tests, then it's not a scientific theory. It's only a hypothesis. And in that case it's not science. It's faith.

Faith should not be taught in science class.

Evolution is a process that can be tested, has been tested and has achieved the level of a scientific theory.

A scientific theory or law represents an hypothesis, or a group of related hypotheses, which has been confirmed through repeated experimental tests. Theories in physics are often formulated in terms of a few concepts and equations, which are identified with "laws of nature," suggesting their universal applicability. Accepted scientific theories and laws become part of our understanding of the universe and the basis for exploring less well-understood areas of knowledge. Theories are not easily discarded; new discoveries are first assumed to fit into the existing theoretical framework. It is only when, after repeated experimental tests, the new phenomenon cannot be accommodated that scientists seriously question the theory and attempt to modify it. The validity that we attach to scientific theories as representing realities of the physical world is to be contrasted with the facile invalidation implied by the expression, "It's only a theory." For example, it is unlikely that a person will step off a tall building on the assumption that they will not fall, because "Gravity is only a theory."

However, it has not been proven that all life came strinctly from the process of evolution. That should not be taught in science class either. An "evolution only" doctrine would also be based on faith.

The validity of the process of evolution does not preclude the existence of a god or gods. I wish that religion were not so threatened by it. And I wish that science teachers would stick to science.

Well, I can only say that I wish I had such talent with words as you just displayed Jon.

Well said!

Why shouldn't my theory - Alien Gorilla Design - be taught? Alien gorillas put on yarmulkas and mated with early primates to form humans.

Yet these liberal elitists won't allow that to be taught so that kids have an open mind.

I don’t know. This is a tough one for me. I like the idea of believing in something greater then us all. I find comfort in that however, scientific evidence cannot be ignored. There is proof that we have descendent from the Ape, yes? The entire scientific community stands behind that. If not for science, we would all still believe the world is flat.

I also feel that this truly blurs the line between church and state. What I was taught to believe may not be what you believe – so therefore, it should not be “taught” or forced on anyone. Is that not Constitution 101?

I think it's obvious that I agree with you, Frank. Evolution is a fact.

Example: some species and individuals in some species will survive global warming, while others won't. No religious idea taught in school will have the slightest impact on that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    I’m really curious about what reaction this kind of discussion would produce in Japan.

Or China.

Or India...

Cause my first post was very « Europamericaneocentric »...(hum...) (I think I’ll get a patent for this word...)

But unfortunately, it seems that there’s not a lot of members from those parts of the world around here.

It’s sad, cause the Europamericaneocentric (gling gling, bingo !) zone, is only a little minority of the world.

So this topic too...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Jesus loves me this I know
    For the Bible tells me so
    Little ones to him belong
    They are weak but he is strong.

Yes Jesus Loves me
    Yes Jesus Loves me
    Yes Jesus Loves me
    The Bible tells me so.

It is little wonder that Americans as a whole are blubbering idiots.

Trust and Obey
    For there's no other way
    To be happy in Jesus
    Than to Trust and Obey.

You should thumb through a Broadman Hymnal, or one of the other mainstays of evangelical protestant music. It's nothing but programming. Don't think. Don't ask. Believe.

The intelligent design movement is simply tired of confining their brainwashing to churches, and wish to expand it to schools as well. Too much thinking going on for their taste. When people think, they realize that Pat Robertson and his ilk are lunatics. But when they trust and obey...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast