• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Help Building New Computer

Help Building New Computer

Ok. Im going to be building a custom built computer but i dont really know what i need for what i am doing.

My current computer is plenty powerfull but its ment for playing games.. not making music.

I will be doing all types of music with the computer Hip-Hop, Rock, Techno, Game Music, and possibly movie music. I will be dealing with ALOT of samples, and using a good amount of VSTis but i will also be doing my own recording of instruments (strings, guitars, keyboards, etc)

I dont want the computer to be like top of the line but i want to be able to do some good work with it.

I want it to be running WindowsXP. I want it to be dead silent.

-graphics card?
    -Intel or Athlon?
    -Method of cooling? (silent plz)
    -how much memory? 512x2?
    -whats a good case?

Now about harddrives. What is the best way to set them up? where should i put samples, where should i put the OS, where should i put projects? where should i put the programs?

I have a 120 gig exterior USB harddrive should i use that for samples and project saves?

Cubase will be the main software i will use.

Re: Help Building New Computer

Here is your cooling system:

You can get it here: http://store.yahoo.com/directron/reserator1plus.html

Make sure that your mobo and video card have no fans.

I use a Seasonic Super Silencer power supply. It's extremely quiet. There are also fanless supplies. Today I'd go for the Seasonic S12-430 at 430W or the fanless Silverstone ST30NF, if you want fanless. For the latest look here: http://silentpcreview.com/article28-page6.html

Make sure that your hard drives use FDBs (fluid drive bearings). You can suspend them in bungee cords or equivalent, if you don't like hearing them seek.

With a completely fanless system, you will get heat buildup. You can keep it cool by cracking the case open a bit, or by getting a case with lots of unpopulated fan holes.

I haven't looked closely at the latest mobos for more than a half year, so I won't make any specific recommendations. Just make sure that it will work with whatever CPU heatsink that you choose.

All the best!

all this computer stuff hurts my brain.

Equipment i already have

-LTO S-8 channel mixing console.
    -Roland EM-20 Creative Keyboard. which i use as my midi controller.

So lets just start with which sound card to get.

What should it be for what im doing?

I dont want the cheapest and i dont want the expensive... just something mid priced for a home studio.

Should it be PCI or exterior?

I don't have tome to go into soundcards right now, but if you want "dead silent" make note of my previous post.

i want silent minus the big clunky exterior things...

Ok. Im going to be building a custom built computer but i dont really know what i need for what i am doing

call a Pro Audio DAW company!

San Francisco Bay Area

cooling systems...and fans...look to:

75,000th Post Winner on the Garritan Forum
    "Don't you wish you were me?"

Hows this computer for the price? http://www.musicxpc.com/products.htm (looking at the professional S2) - click on the computer picture to get a better description.

out dated and over priced!any consideration of a P4 at this point should be a dual core not a single core
    (note not dual cpu but dual core, 2 cpus glued together in 1 socket)
    the price differance is like $100.

XPC doesnt sell direct, you have to buy thru a reseller which means there is a good amount of money added for the sales company.

Go Back to forum