• Register
  • Help

Topic: Upgrade from 2.5 to 3?

Upgrade from 2.5 to 3?

I have Gigastudio 2.5 (or something like that . . . it starts with a 2) on an old PC that's working just fine. I just picked up my new 3.2Ghz PC which I want to run GigaStudio on in addition to keeping the old computer.

I seem to remember that when I installed Giga 2.5, I never had to authorize it. In other words, I could have run it on as many computers as I want. But maybe I'm mistaken . . . it was a few years back and I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast.

My understanding is that Giga 3 only allows one install. Is that correct? So if I upgrade my original Giga 2, I'm thinking I keep Giga 2 as is on the old computer and install the new (via upgrade) Giga 3 on the new computer. That's assuming an upgrade (as opposed to buying new) is even an option. Is it?

It seems the only real advantage to Giga 3 over Giga 2 is GigaPulse. Considering my primary use will be VSL, this could be a big deal.

So would you guys run one Giga2 and one Giga3, or would it be better to buy a second Giga3?

- Mike Greene

St. John's NL

Re: Upgrade from 2.5 to 3?

If you've still got the old computer, use both! I'm not sure about what the upgrade price is, but there's a section on the giga site about it. There IS one-I know that much.

The difference is more than g-pulse: Polyphony, load capacity, load speed, mixer capabilities.....lots more, but you'll see!

Good luck,

Yes, there's an upgrade... there's a link from http://www.tascamgiga.com.

And yes I wouldn't bother buying a second copy and upgrading the other one unless you're using one set of drives somehow... you may want to update your samples to version 3 in which case version 2 can't use them anymore. But then again giga 3 can play giga 2 files so you could just leave them as version 2. All you lose is some load time.

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    .The difference is more than g-pulse: Polyphony, load capacity, load speed, mixer capabilities.....lots more, but you'll see!
    Yes but the problem is that nobody at TASCAM or on this forum was able to disclose the max useable memory and max sample loaded with GS.3 as I did easily with GS.2.
    Only a good loading capacity improvement would worth the price because the Gigapulse reverb is available as a standalone and why not to use the extra loading time of GS.2 for composing a few minutes more !

Go Back to forum