• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Good non-USB MIDI interface, please?

Share/Bookmark

Good non-USB MIDI interface, please?

I\'m using a MidiSport 1x1 USB interface right now. I suspect it of being at the root of a few problems (pops/clicks/ occasional MIDI hiccups) and apart from which I need to get direct MIDI access to the other 3 ports.

Everyone seems to agree that USB is pretty naff, but looking through the music press it\'s pretty difficult to see a MIDI interface that isn\'t USB these days.

Anyone got any recommendations (in my case I don\'t need loads of in and outs, tough it might be interesting to see what\'s out there)

Nepomuk

Re: Good non-USB MIDI interface, please?

does MidiSport 1x1 support regular serial-port MIDI hardware and driver? If yes, try that!

I\'m using the inexpensive MOTU MIDIFlyer parallel port interface. It works, but you have to go through clearing IRQ conflicts and such according to a technical paper available fromt the MOTU website.

Hi Avar.

Can you tell me which OS are you usign with the fyer?
    In the Motu web site there\'s a driver for W95 and W3.1, but I\'m running W98SE.
    Thanks.

Ric

If you have the money and need, you should go for Unitor8 or AMT from Emagic - 8 ins and outs, runs on USB or serial. A cheaper one is the Egosys Miditerminal, 4 ins and outs and pretty cheap.

Ricren,

My Flyer runs without any problems on Windows ME. I didn\'t have any problems with IRQ conflicts etc.

Hi,

I am also looking for a 4x4 MIDI interface. The egosys is a parallel port interface, according to their website. Anyone know of a good serial 4x4 MIDI interface? Or even 2x4 would work for me.

TIA,

Jim

Hi Nepomuk,

I\'m using the Midisport 8x8 with a serial (not USB) interface and it works just fine. I have more MIDI ports than I know what to do with.

Steve

Thanks guys for the informative replies. I think I may go with the Unitor, or the MidiSport 8x8; both give way more ins and outs than I need, but who knows in a year\'s time?

Anyway, for me the key thing is reliable, stable operation - I don\'t mind paying for a bit of redundancy to get it. Just a thought but I don\'t know why interface manufacturers don\'t give the option of MIDI and/or serial as standard - guess it\'s a cost issue as always.

Thanks again

The Unitor also gives you video syncing (SMPTE) options. You may not need that, but who knows in the future...

If you make a copy of a video and \'stripe\' SMPTE code along to one of the audio tracks, you can use the second video to control your sequencer. This way you can write and record your own underscore for any (rented) video.

High on my personal whish list!

Cheers
    Peter

Go Back to forum