• Register
  • Help

Topic: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and Raid0

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and Raid0

Is anybody using this motherboard with a Raid0 setup ?....If so , what Raid controller are you using, the Intel or the Promise , and why ? .....Thanks, Jim

Re: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and Raid0

Yes, i use it with the promise controller. But in fact it doesn't work very well, there is a huge latency to begin reading. So I've banished it to be my general huge backup disk, and don't use it for speed. Never figured out if it was something I configured wrong or what. What's your experience or intention?

gugliel ,
    I am wanting to use it as a Raid controller to set up 2 S-ATA hard drives in a Raid 0 setup ...Thanks for your reply ....I did it already and have not had a chance to use it as I had a power outage, and did not have my computer plugged into a UPS....I now have a screwed up computer because there are files that got screwed when the computer was running, and the power went off.....I never had this problem with my Mac.....I'm learning new problems using PC .... I hope I can get his computer straightened out ....I had GigaStudio running so good, and other applications also, and now the computer won't boot up properly, and won't load files properly .....All because of the power going out !!......GRRRRRRRRRR !!!.....Such is life .... ...
    I want to use the 2 HD's set up for Raid 0 for samples....
    Thanks for your reply....It's appreciated .....Jim

You'd likely never hit a bottleneck on a single SATA drive streaming audio tracks, and if you're streaming samples you'd likely get better performance by just distributing your samples evenly between the two single drives and streaming from them seperately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Definitely use the SATA ports hooked up to the Intel ICH5R chip. The Intel controller keeps the traffic off of the PCI bus. I've got two computers with that MOBO, with all my samples on RAID 0, and it works wonderfully.

Tascam recommends RAID 0 for higher voice counts with GS. I find RAID 0 works well for me with Kontakt, too.

Lee Blaske
    On Lee's recommendation, I also hooked up my 2 x 10K Raptors in a Raid 0 configuration, on the Intel ICH5R chip (about a year ago)
    It has all worked perfectly with that setup .
    (Thanks again Lee :-)

I haven't loaded the Raid0 setup with samples yet.....It's already striped using the Promise controller ....Can I change this ? ..... When I called Asus customer support , they told me that most folks had better luck using the Promise controller ....I'd like to now change back to the Intel controller ...What's involved ?

Hollywood California

Turn it on in the bios and load the drivers from the ASUS disk. Sometimes you have to drag the driver over to My Documents from the disk and do a driver upgrade from the Device Manager page rather than install new device. The stripe doesn't matter. The Intel set works a lot better than Promise! jc

Thanks for the info Yank .....Sincerly, Jim

Go Back to forum