• Register
  • Help

Topic: First GPO Session - Ouch!!! Missing the Boat

Share/Bookmark

First GPO Session - Ouch!!! Missing the Boat

Hi gang – got GPO and had my first recording session” – here are my successes and failures:

Success:

1. Got GPO stand alone up and running – no problem.

2. Opened up Sonar and was able to record Steinway Piano but that was it….

Failure

1. Couldn’t figure out how to add another part - could do it under my JV1080 doing MIDI but not GPO

Here's what I did....

2. Opened up an audio file and went to FX bin and opened up GPO

3. Went to MIDI track and thought I set up GPO but all I got was the Steinway again.

4. Had the Debussy Sonar file to look at, which had it as a VST plugin, but I couldn’t duplicate

Bottom line – had trouble using GPO as VST plugin - could not get but one sound out of the GPO using it as MIDI in Sonar

Part of the problem was that I only had an hour to work it last night. – no big deal - I’ll work on it by looking at the Sonar site here at GPO and study the “Using GPO with Sonar” – I’ll dog it until it works!!!

If anybody sees anything really simple that I missed I’m all ears!

God bless

Re: First GPO Session - Ouch!!! Missing the Boat

Hi AV,

I'm not good with trying to explain things, but I know that I use GPO as a DXI, and it works just fine.

mm

Might be helpful to read the Sonar manual too, about using the synth rack, and about software synths in general. If you've only been using hardware synths and modules, there's a bit of a learning curve. Gonna need more than an hour...

Jim

Keep at it: if you're still having problems later, I imagine someone could post a template project for you. (I can't right now: at work!)

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

You're first problem was using GPO in the effects bin. The easiest way is to open up GPO in the synth rack.

First, creat 8 midi tracks, one for each channel in the GPO player. Next click Insert/DXI Synth and choose PersonalOrchestraVST (or DXI) - in the dialogue box, check only the boxes that say All Synth Outputs (Audio) and the "Ask this every time" options. This will open up 8 audio outputs for the GPO player. Now, go back to the midi tracks and assign the output of each one to the GPO player with a different channel assigned to each. You can also create a new Stereo bus as your master and assign the output of each of your audio tracks to it.

Just load an instrument into each slot of the GPO player and that should get you set up. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    You're first problem was using GPO in the effects bin. The easiest way is to open up GPO in the synth rack.

Just load an instrument into each slot of the GPO player and that should get you set up. Hope this helps.
    Thanks loogoo – The instructions are helpful and simple and can’t wait to try them.

Mistahamma said -
    Might be helpful to read the Sonar manual too, about using the synth rack, and about software synths in general. If you've only been using hardware synths and modules, there's a bit of a learning curve. Gonna need more than an hour...
    Thanks mistahamma -
    I am working through the manual and I understand I need more than an hour – I’ll concentrate on the synth racks and software synths in general!

Thanks to all – this forum is one of the reasons I bought GPO. I do understand there will be a learning curve and as I devote more time it will start clicking. Your demos and arrangements inspire me.

God bless

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    It's pretty easy to set up GPO in an effects bin (I find it handy for muting entire sections -- just mute the audio track containing the GPO instance, and all the MIDI tracks assigned to it are muted as well. Same goes for soloing).

AVBunyan, when you set up your MIDI tracks, assign the output of each track to the desired GPO instance, and set their channels up to point to the proper slot in the GPO player. (Obviously, you have to have something in the slot before it'll make noise.)
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Go Back to forum