• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dynamics - Please Help

Share/Bookmark

Question Dynamics - Please Help

I have read through the many, many postings, but as an absolute neophyte to computer music, I am still having a major problem with dynamics. Here is the outline of my problem.

01. I wrote a piece of music in Maestro notation
    02. I imported the score as midi into Cubase LE, assign instruments from GPO with Kontakt. (which sounded absolutely wonderful compared to anything I have used before.)

The Problems:
    FIrst:
    Once I have the music imported and instruments assigned, I want to go back and alter dynamics for each instrument to make a better balance. There is surely some way to alter the dynamics (volume) for each instrument before mixing down.

Second:
    I downloaded the new version of Kontakt and suddely the music stutters and skips as it plays. Even the smallest pieces. I have tried adhusting the buffer and combining tracks - no help. It worked fine before.

Re: Dynamics - Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis
    I have read through the many, many postings, but as an absolute neophyte to computer music, I am still having a major problem with dynamics. Here is the outline of my problem.

01. I wrote a piece of music in Maestro notation
    02. I imported the score as midi into Cubase LE, assign instruments from GPO with Kontakt. (which sounded absolutely wonderful compared to anything I have used before.)

The Problems:
    FIrst:
    Once I have the music imported and instruments assigned, I want to go back and alter dynamics for each instrument to make a better balance. There is surely some way to alter the dynamics (volume) for each instrument before mixing down.

Second:
    I downloaded the new version of Kontakt and suddely the music stutters and skips as it plays. Even the smallest pieces. I have tried adhusting the buffer and combining tracks - no help. It worked fine before.
    Are you using GPO Studio or VST? Studio can easily overload your system.

Have you checked latency, does it agree in all places where there is an option?

Is your sampling rate okay for your new setup?

Note that I answered your second question first -- maybe because it was easier?

You can set the velocity to respond to normal sequencer settings, which might be the easiest way, but I don't like this method. You probably should map your velocity to cc1 (mod wheel) and then you can alter velocity and the mapping will take care of the mod wheel. There is a short plug in available at the Garritan site which is a free download, and this is what I use to map the velocity to modulation. Then you can set velocity as you wish. You must add the mapping as a midi fx, to each channel except piano and drums. Or pipe organ.

I can't get specific about Overture, as I don't use it. But the general idea will be the same.

Richard

Re: Dynamics - Please Help

Thank you for the quick response. I really appreciate it. I am very impressed with GPO and want to learn all I can.

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Are you using GPO Studio or VST? Studio can easily overload your system.
    I use neither Overture nor GPO studio.

Have you checked latency, does it agree in all places where there is an option?
    I am not sure what latency is, but I will begin to study along that line.

Is your sampling rate okay for your new setup?
    As far as I can tell. Can you tell me more about that?

Note that I answered your second question first -- maybe because it was easier?

You can set the velocity to respond to normal sequencer settings, which might be the easiest way, but I don't like this method. You probably should map your velocity to cc1 (mod wheel) and then you can alter velocity and the mapping will take care of the mod wheel. There is a short plug in available at the Garritan site which is a free download, and this is what I use to map the velocity to modulation. Then you can set velocity as you wish. You must add the mapping as a midi fx, to each channel except piano and drums. Or pipe organ.

I can't get specific about Overture, as I don't use it. But the general idea will be the same.

Additional: If I bring up a particular line of music, say French Horn, can I play it and use the mod wheel to change the volume without erasing the existing music?

Richard

Go Back to forum